The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Multipanel plots each with unique Y layers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

insanegathering

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  11:50:33 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin 8.1.34.90 SR3 1991-2010 Windows Vista Business.

Is it possible to create a multipanel scatter graph showing concentrations of individual metals (Y) at various sites (X) and different symbols to indicate varying seasons? This is what it looks like in sigmaplot ->

http://img705.imageshack.us/i/plothi.jpg/

Any help to get me started on this would be much appreciated!

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  5:56:56 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

You can look at our tutorials on graphing, we added many in the recent 8.5.1 release, and most will still apply for 8.1:
http://originlab.com/www/helponline/Origin/en/mergedProjects/Tutorial/Category/Graphing_(Tutorials).html

Also video tutorials are available on our website and youtube:
http://www.originlab.com/index.aspx?go=Support/VideoTutorials#Graphing

If you need further help, you could send your data to tech support.

Easwar
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

insanegathering

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  9:13:18 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Ok I figured this one out. I separated my historical data into different worksheet tabs. I created the 14 scatter graphs using the multipanel plot option. Next, I and selected "Layer contents" by right clicking on the respective layer number in the graph sheet. I then added the data I needed and distinguished the color/shape of the symbol for each of the historical datasets by simply double clicking on the graph plots. I did this for each individual layer.

If anyone knows a quicker way of doing this I'd be happy to hear it!
Go to Top of Page

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  3:09:46 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I assume your data was originally in a form like this:
Site(X), Metal(Y), Season(Y)

Click on Season(Y) column to select it.
Right click on the selection and choose "Set as Categorical".
(This creates a numeric, categorical 'map' for your values.)

I couldn't quite see your Sites, but I assume they are text as well and you should repeat above for Sites(X) to create the categorical map.

Now select Metal(Y) column and plot as Scatter.
Choose Format : Plot to open Plot Details at the data level.
Check the 'Show Construction' checkbox and choose Col(C) in the Shape drop-down.
Click OK.
You can select Graph : New Enhanced Legend to show categorical information.

Origin would not see any difference between the two "April 2010" values, nor between the two "October 2010" values. You can get more complete control of Indexing to control Color, Size, Shape and Interior fill based on columns. The numbers in the columns are the index of those values in their respective lists. So 1=Square, 2=Circle, etc. for Shape and 1=Black, 2=Red, etc. for Color.

Another approach which gives you more editing flexibility, is to have separate X,Y column pairs for each seasonal group and use Long Name as the Seasonal Group info.
Whether this data is XYXYXYXY in one sheet or XY in multiple sheets does not matter - you can plot all the Y's in one scatter graph and group. Then you can use Group incremental features.
Go to Top of Page

Coachman140

New Zealand
1 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  5:02:05 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks for all the information. This has been a great help for me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000