The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Logarithmic regression and right Y-axis only
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

dhpii

Denmark
3 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2011 :  09:38:16 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): OriginPro 8.5.0 (acedemic)
Operating System: Windows seven

Hi All,

Please help me out with these two problems:

1)
How do you make a Logarithmic fit (regression) on a dataset in a plot with log-scale X-axis and linear Y-axis. The equation should be y = b*ln(x) + a. I know this can be done in Excel but I'm lost in Origin.

2)
I need to change my Y-axis from being left to right (w/o adding an extra Y-axis) - how can this be done?

I should mention that I'm new at Origin, so please bear with me!
Thanks!

David

dhpii

Denmark
3 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2011 :  09:41:25 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
*Service release: SR1
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2011 :  10:02:43 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi David,

For 1), as your fitting function is linear on log scale, you can perform the linear fit ("Analysis: Fitting: Linear Fit" menu) on the log-scaled plot. In the opened dialog, you can turn ON the check box of "Apparent Fit".

For 2), double-click your Y-axis, choose "Title&Format" tab, turn OFF the "Show Axis&Ticks" check box, select "Right" axis selection (icon), and turn ON the "Show Axis&Ticks" check box.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

Edited by - Hideo Fujii on 05/23/2011 10:08:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

dhpii

Denmark
3 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2011 :  6:52:35 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Hideo Fujii,

Thanks for your help! It is really appreciated.

Though by doing a linear fit on the log scale I don't get the same slope and interception as I do by doing the same thing in MS Excel - that's why I wondered whether the linear fit could be used as a logarithmic regression.

BR
David
Go to Top of Page

ccu

7 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  03:32:21 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
What is the meaning of "Apparent Fit" and what's the different with/without it? I don't really understand the explanation in help file.
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  3:53:34 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by ccu

What is the meaning of "Apparent Fit" and what's the different with/without it? I don't really understand the explanation in help file.

Hi,

"Apparent Fit" means the fitting is performed "as it appears" on a non-linear scale. For example semi-log-on-X plot, the apparent fitting is based on the linear relationship: y = a + b*log(x) as shown in the screenshot below (both graphs are identical except linear X scale at right):

Does it make sense?

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

ccu

7 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2011 :  11:21:38 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I see...this setting regard the log scale as linear scale to perform linear fitting... Thanks for your effort!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000