The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Rudely behaving update dialogs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

pchimento

3 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2011 :  10:05:21 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
I don't usually report usability bugs in commercial software, but this one was so egregious that I just had to. When updating Origin 8.0 to Sr6 (by using Help->Check for Updates) I selected the updates to download and was presented with a dialog that showed the download progress of each update.

I decided to switch to another application to get some other work done while I was waiting for the updates to download. However, for each file that the updater downloaded, it popped up a new progress dialog that stole the input focus from my other application, interrupting what I was typing.

To make matters worse, if I happened to be typing a word with the letter 'C' in it, the progress dialog interpreted that as pressing the "Cancel" button! It did ask me if I wanted to cancel just that one download or all the downloads, but I couldn't get out of cancelling at least the one download. So I had to update again after the update finished in order to get the update that I accidentally canceled!

What's more, when the updater finished it pulled the same trick, just as I was typing this bug report! It opened another tab in my browser and switched to that tab!

I'm sorry, but not popping up a window that steals focus from other applications is standard UI design practice. Not to mention, dialogs that behave in this rude way frustrate users to no end. Do the computers at OriginLab not multitask?

Origin Ver. and Service Release: Whatever came before Origin 8.0 Sr6
Operating System: Windows XP

pchimento

3 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2011 :  03:21:27 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Excuse me, is OriginLab going to acknowledge this bug report or not?
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1381 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2011 :  10:27:59 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Dear Customer,

Sorry for the delayed response. Thank you for reporting these issues. We really appreciate it. I have created jira ORG-3360: "Check for Updates Improvements". It containes the 3 issues you brought up.
1. focus switch that interferes customer's work.
2. pressing SPACE/ENTER keyboard triggers CANCEL button. (I couldn't reproduce the problem of clicking C triggers CANCEL.
3. In the dialog that pops when clicking Cancel button, add a Cancel button so that user can cancel the CANCEl and no cancellation of current download.

I also created another jira ORG-361: Don't force IE open with Release Notes at the end of patch".

We will try to fix these in our next release.

Sincerely,
Snow Li

OriginLab Corp.
Go to Top of Page

pchimento

3 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2011 :  11:26:15 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you very much for your reply. I look forward to the next version.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000