The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Data Reader tool problems
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

hdvorak

Pasadena, CA
4 Posts

Posted - 12/30/1998 :  12:29:00 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Sometimes, when I'm using the Data Reader tool, I just can't make it click on the data plot I'm trying to get a reading from. No matter where along the plot I try to select, I get that 'clicking' error sound. Sometimes when I have two datasets plotted on the same graph, I can put the data reader on one, but not the other. In other cases, I can only put the data reader on one end of the plot, then use the cursor keys to get to the point I'm interested in. Has anyone else ever seen this problem and is there a way to fix it? Thanks in advance.

rtoomey

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 01/04/1999 :  4:48:00 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Response to Data Reader tool Problems

Tools such as the Data Reader function on the active dataset in the active layer only.

To enable the use of the Data Reader tool on another dataset, first make sure that the correct layer is active (if there is more than one layer). To do so, simply double-click on the data plot that you are interested in. This opens the Plot Details for that data plot and automatically activates the layer that it is in (denoted by a depressed layer icon in the upper left corner of the graph window). Click OK to close out of Plot Details.

Finally, to activate the data plot, go to the Data menu and find it in the list of datasets located at the bottom. If it has a check mark next to it, it is already the active dataset for the active layer. Therefore you need not do anything at this point. If it does not have a check mark next to it, click on it to select it. The check mark is automatically moved to your newly activated dataset.

At this point, if you use the Data Reader tool, it will act on the newly activated dataset (data plot). If you wish to use the Data Reader tool on another dataset, make that dataset the active one by going through the same procedure.

Sincerely,
Ryan Toomey
Technical Support engineer
Microcal Software, Inc.

[This message has been edited by rtoomey (edited 01-04-99).]

[This message has been edited by rtoomey (edited 01-04-99).]

Go to Top of Page

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 01/05/1999 :  7:45:00 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
... and there's more ...

When you click on a plot using the Data Reader tool, Origin begins searching for the nearest point by one of two methods based on the number of points in the dataset and the value of Tools:Options:Miscellaneous:Bisection Search Points.

1. When the number of points is less than the value, then sequential search is used.
  2. When the number of points is greater than the value, then bisection search is used.

Bisection search is designed to find the nearest point rapidly, but it only works if the X dataset is sorted. The middle point of the dataset is tested first to determine which half contains the nearest point. This half becomes the new search set. If the X dataset is not sorted, then this search scheme fails and you get a 'beep error'. (Actually a few points will be found this way purely by chance.)

If a search fails because bisection searching is being used on an unsorted (in X) dataset, then you can either:

1. Sort the source worksheet on the X column
  2. Set the value of Tools:Options:Miscellaneous:Bisection Search Points larger than the number of datapoints to 'turn off' bisection search.

[This message has been edited by Greg (edited 01-05-99).]

Go to Top of Page

schurli

Melbourne
7 Posts

Posted - 02/07/1999 :  7:59:00 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I experience excactly the same problem. The Datareader tool only works when the dataset contains few data points. The kind of datasets I usually use are all X-sorted, but contain 1000-10000 data points. Very occasionally the Datareader tool works (even when one layer and one dataset), usually it starts at the end of the dataset and you have to move it across with the arrows (takes ages with 10000 data points!).

Thanks for any hints,

Georg

Go to Top of Page

schurli

Melbourne
7 Posts

Posted - 02/08/1999 :  7:05:00 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sorry!!!!!!! My datasets are not stricktly X-sorted, they are sorted but in a triangular waveform (up and down). I have set Bisection Search Points to 10000 and it seems to work so far.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000