The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 How to find intersection point of two lines?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

sub.rosa

6 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2011 :  10:45:03 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Ok, my graph looks like this:

I need help to find x and y values for that intersection point of those two lines and mark it on axis (with dashed lines etc.). But I'm very new in Origin and don't know how most of operations works, so I would need plain explanation, please!

Sam Fang

291 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  05:12:56 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
To find the intersection point of two curves is a new feature Curve Intersection Gadget in Origin8.6, which will be released soon.

Sam
OriginLab Technical Services
Go to Top of Page

Echo_Chu

China
Posted - 11/02/2011 :  05:20:54 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi, Marta

In our coming Origin 8.6 there is a intersect gadget which support it. Before our release, maybe you can try the script tool.

http://www.originlab.com/fileexchange/details.aspx?fid=28

There is a DataIntersect option in this Script Tool, which calculate intersection between two curve

Echo
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  1:36:37 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

It seems you are trying bimodal linear fitting to your data. 
If so, you can fit the whole data, and can get the crossing 
point(Cx, Cy) at once by the following way. Here, you assume 
that two lines are defined as: 
  At X<=Cx  y = A1*x+B1
  At X>Cx   y = A2*x+B2

- Parameters: A1,B1,A2,Cx
  - Function Form: Script
  - Fit Function: 
      If(x<=Cx) y=A1*x+B1; 
      else y=A2*x+(A1-A2)*Cx+B1
  - Derived Parameters: 
      Cy=A1*Cx+B1
      B2=(A1-A2)*Cx+B1

So, you can get the crossing point immediately from fitting 
result like below: 

--Hideo Fujii
  OriginLab

Go to Top of Page

sub.rosa

6 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  5:38:30 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi, Hideo!
This is exactly what I'm trying to do. But, do I require any initialization of parameters? And how?
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  09:59:25 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Marta,

In my test above, I initially set all parameters (A1, B1, A2, Cx) to 1, and it converged quickly without any difficulty.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

sub.rosa

6 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  8:07:11 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I did it! :) Thank You very much!
Go to Top of Page

roelatlans1

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2011 :  7:45:35 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Wow this Hideo guy is really good :)

Roel Atlans
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  5:07:03 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi All,

The following tutorial ("Fitting with a Piecewise Linear Function") has been added to the OriginLab Wiki:

http://wiki.originlab.com/~originla/howto/index.php?title=Tutorial:Fitting_with_a_Piecewise_Linear_Function

Hope many people benefit from this document.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

billwynne

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  7:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
This forum is so helpful and using the graphics for illustration is wonderful. Thanks for the help and taking the time to explain the use of the software.

Bill Wynne
----------------------
BioMass
Waste Conversion
Go to Top of Page

fathiahsuaidah

Malaysia
1 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2016 :  11:41:07 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
can i know how you make the graph look like that? with two line and have intersection point? thank you.
quote:
Originally posted by sub.rosa

Ok, my graph looks like this:

I need help to find x and y values for that intersection point of those two lines and mark it on axis (with dashed lines etc.). But I'm very new in Origin and don't know how most of operations works, so I would need plain explanation, please!

fathiah
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000