The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Reducing large amount of data by periodicaveraging
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

JoseMGuil

Spain
11 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2011 :  04:44:56 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8.0 SR-6
Operating System:Windows 7

I get a large amount of data (tens of thousands) with a data adquisition system even with the lower data adquisition rate. I would like to reduce that large number by substitution of every n data by their averaged (mean) value.
Thanks

Drbobshepherd

USA
Posted - 11/07/2011 :  10:29:51 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Lo siento. Origin 8.1 implemented a new X-function, reduce_ex, that solves your problem; it reduces the dataset by replacing every N values with an average. This function can also be executed using the "Analysis/Data Manipulation/Reduce by evenly spaced X" drop-down menu. Unfortunate for you, I do not think you have this function in version 8.0.

Try using the smooth routine with adjacent-averaging. Then write a program to delete rows using nested loops. Bueno suerte.
Go to Top of Page

couturier

France
291 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2011 :  12:48:13 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Maybe the following can help:

1. Analysis/Signal processing/Smooth
Choose adjacent averaging and set the desired n points of window

2. Analysis/Mathematics/Inter-Extrapolate
Choose desired number of points
Go to Top of Page

Drbobshepherd

USA
Posted - 11/07/2011 :  2:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Couturier's suggestion is a good one; all you have to do is select the size of your smoothing window (n datapoints), and the size of your final reduced dataset (N datapoints). N should equal [(No.of Samples)/n] +1, to ensure all data is utilized. (You may want to experiment with the +1;I cold be off a little.)
Go to Top of Page

JoseMGuil

Spain
11 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2011 :  11:50:32 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks to couturier and Drbobshepherd. The way: Analysis/Mathematics/Inter-Extrapolate worked well when using "Number of points" as non-auto and equal to total number of points divided by the number of points to be averaged.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000