The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Overparameterized Nonlinear Curve Fit

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
coolingc Posted - 09/04/2012 : 6:57:37 PM
Hey all-

I am working on fitting a nonlinear curve function in Origin to a set of data I've taken. The form of the equation is

y = M* (1- (A/x^(1/2))) + K

Where x and y are my data variables, and I am fitting for M, A and K. For some reason, Origin doesn't fit when the exponent attached to the x is less than 1 (ie a fraction).

Often, I get the error ' Fit did not converge - mutual dependency exists between parameters.
You may have overparameterized the fitting function. Fixing one of them may eliminate this problem.'

What can I do to alleviate this issue? Infinite thanks!
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Hideo Fujii Posted - 09/05/2012 : 09:45:38 AM
Hi coolingc,

I'm not sure, but could you first please check IF your fit function type is OriginC or else. If it is of OriginC, the "1/2" term in your formula becomes 0 because of the integer calculation. Then, eventually your looses the independent variable, and will never converge. If this is the case, you can write 0.5 (as real) or (1.0/2.0) instead of 1/2.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000