The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 custom axis scale

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
gzannis Posted - 05/16/2002 : 03:29:25 AM
I would like to plot some statistical data with the Y axis as LnLn(1/y). That means I have to make a totally custom Y axis. Is this possible in the Origin 6.0 ?
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
rtoomey Posted - 05/16/2002 : 3:21:24 PM
Great post Jose! You took the words right out of my mouth. Please note that there are two suggestions in our database:

• QA 1567 - Wanted: User Defined Axis Scale Types (sqrt, sine, polynomial, K/X^N, exp(x))

• QA 1568 - Wanted: Ability to Create Tick Marks and Labels by Dataset Values

Both of these items would vastly simplify this process. I have updated each of them with the information from this post. Thanks again to both of you for bringing this up.

Sincerely,
Ryan Toomey
OriginLab Technical Support

Jose Posted - 05/16/2002 : 12:36:07 PM
I will plot y=x^2 in a Sqrt(y) y axis, as an example. In a case like this I use to

1. Plot the transformed data Sqrt(y) instead of y in a normal linear plot.

2. Remove the ticks and the tick labels of the y axis.

3. Draw my own ticks and labels "manually".

The idea for the last point is to use a dataset to draw horizontal ticks, using the Line plot type combined with the 2 Point Segment conection of the line properties. A similar idea is also explained in the Knowledge base.

I create my "axis-dataset" with alternating X values of X1 and X1+delta, being X1 the lower limit of my X axis and delta the tick lenght. Like this:

tickX

Then I add a Y column with the positions where I want my ticks, another Y column with their correspondant transformed values Sqrt(y), and a Label column with the labels I want to display (one for every data pair):

tickX tickReal tickY tickLab
0 0 0
1 0 0 0
0 100 10
1 100 10 100
0 200 14.14
1 200 14.14 200
0 300 17.32
1 300 17.32 300

Then I include these data in the plot, using tickX as X, tickY as Y and tickLab as Label (this can be done easily with the Plot Associations). Then I

1. set the tickY plot type to Line, with the 2 Point Segment connection and 1.5 points thickness (to make it equal to the layer lines thickness), and

2. modify the tickLab label properties using Right justification, Attach to axis= Left Y, and X offset= -25.

This is the result:

Jose Viņa, Origin WebRing member

Edited by - Jose on 05/16/2002 13:03:40

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000