The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 custom axis scale
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

gzannis

Greece
2 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2002 :  03:29:25 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
I would like to plot some statistical data with the Y axis as LnLn(1/y). That means I have to make a totally custom Y axis. Is this possible in the Origin 6.0 ?

Jose

Netherlands
93 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2002 :  12:36:07 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I will plot y=x^2 in a Sqrt(y) y axis, as an example. In a case like this I use to

1. Plot the transformed data Sqrt(y) instead of y in a normal linear plot.

2. Remove the ticks and the tick labels of the y axis.

3. Draw my own ticks and labels "manually".

The idea for the last point is to use a dataset to draw horizontal ticks, using the Line plot type combined with the 2 Point Segment conection of the line properties. A similar idea is also explained in the Knowledge base.

I create my "axis-dataset" with alternating X values of X1 and X1+delta, being X1 the lower limit of my X axis and delta the tick lenght. Like this:

tickX

Then I add a Y column with the positions where I want my ticks, another Y column with their correspondant transformed values Sqrt(y), and a Label column with the labels I want to display (one for every data pair):

tickX tickReal tickY tickLab
0 0 0
1 0 0 0
0 100 10
1 100 10 100
0 200 14.14
1 200 14.14 200
0 300 17.32
1 300 17.32 300

Then I include these data in the plot, using tickX as X, tickY as Y and tickLab as Label (this can be done easily with the Plot Associations). Then I

1. set the tickY plot type to Line, with the 2 Point Segment connection and 1.5 points thickness (to make it equal to the layer lines thickness), and

2. modify the tickLab label properties using Right justification, Attach to axis= Left Y, and X offset= -25.

This is the result:

Jose Via, Origin WebRing member

Edited by - Jose on 05/16/2002 13:03:40
Go to Top of Page

rtoomey

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2002 :  3:21:24 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Great post Jose! You took the words right out of my mouth. Please note that there are two suggestions in our database:

• QA 1567 - Wanted: User Defined Axis Scale Types (sqrt, sine, polynomial, K/X^N, exp(x))

• QA 1568 - Wanted: Ability to Create Tick Marks and Labels by Dataset Values

Both of these items would vastly simplify this process. I have updated each of them with the information from this post. Thanks again to both of you for bringing this up.

Sincerely,
Ryan Toomey
OriginLab Technical Support

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000