The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Using Standard error of linear fit

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Slev1n Posted - 03/10/2016 : 05:13:40 AM
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8.6
Operating System: win7

Hey guys,

My intention:
I am using originLab but I am a bit confused about the Standard error calculated by origin for my linear fit. My intention is to include the standard error into my error calculation for the !x-axis! value.
My situation:
I have 11 points, each created by the average of 50 measurement values. The R²=0,99998 and the standard error of the y-axis interception and slope are small. The standard deviation of the 11 average values is more or less constant and small, too.
I am making a calibration and later I only measure my y-axis value and want to tell the user the correct corresponding x-axis value.
The problem:
complete error = error due to fit + error due to the averaged values
--> I dont know how to compute the error due to fit.

1, Is there a way to calculate the standard deviation of the slope and y-axis interception out of the standard error to calculate the error due to fit?
2, The origin help articel ("linear regressions results" formula (9) and (10)) showing a corrected and uncorrected form of SXX and SXY is different to the formulas shown here: http://www.originlab.de/doc/Origin-Help/LR-Algorithm

Hope you guys can answer my 2 questions.

kind regards

Slev1n
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SeanMao Posted - 03/21/2016 : 04:50:17 AM
Hi,

I will bring up your suggestion for discussion.

Thanks!

Regards!

Sean
Slev1n Posted - 03/21/2016 : 04:18:29 AM
So if I understand you correctly, the "standard error" shown in the parameter box is already the "standard deviation"?

Well, maybe you should note this somewhere :). Although Wikipedia states this, too, I found the explanation in the "help" puzzling.

However, thank you very much for your help!

Kind regards

Slev1n
SeanMao Posted - 03/21/2016 : 02:36:36 AM
Hi,

In fitting, the "Standard Error" in report sheet is the "Standard Deviation" you are looking for.

Regards!

Sean
Slev1n Posted - 03/16/2016 : 08:13:41 AM
I have measured the amplitude (y-axis) for different concentrations (x-axis). For every concentrations I took 50 values to build an average amplitude value for the corresponding concentration value. At the end, I have 11 averaged amplitudes values for 11 different concentrations showing a very good linear relation. The linear fit has an R² value of 0,99998.
Now I wanted to do some error calculations but I dont know how to use the parameter "standard error". The standard error is given for the y-axis intersection and slope and I want to use this parameter to calculate the standard deviations of these two fit parameters.

kind regards Slev1n
SeanMao Posted - 03/11/2016 : 12:35:36 AM
Hi,

I am not fully sure that I understand your question correctly, so you have 1 X column and 11 Y column, you will fit the averaged 11 Y columns with respect to 1 X column while including the deviations from averaging 11 Ys?

For this case, I would suggest you use the multi-data fitting mode-- Concatenate Fit in NLFit dialog which will combines replicate data into a single dataset and then fit. This will account for the your so-called "error due to the averaged values" without doing it pre-hand by yourself.

A brief introduction can be seen here:

http://originlab.com/index.aspx?go=Products/Origin/DataAnalysis/CurveFitting/NonlinearFitting#3

A detailed reference can be found here:

http://originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/Fit-ReplicaData

Regards!

Sean

OriginLab Tech.

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000