The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Frequency Counts But with Averages, Not Counting

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pcomis2 Posted - 09/10/2016 : 7:50:15 PM
Hello Everyone,

I have a set of data (two columns, X and Y) and I'm wondering if there is a way to perform a binning operation much like a histogram or the frequency counts option in descriptive statistics, except I want to calculate the average, not counts or frequency. Essentially I would like to arrange my set of data into a specified number of bins (going from 5,929 data points to 50, i.e. 50 bins) and calculate the average of Y in each corresponding X bin. My intended result of this operation would then be to plot the 50 data points located at the bins from the X column each with a corresponding average value in the Y column. Does anyone know how this can be done?

Thank you for any help or ideas,
Patrick

Origin Ver. and Service Release: OriginPro 2015 (64-bit) Sr2 b9.2.272 (Academic)
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (Version 1511)
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
JacquelineHe Posted - 09/13/2016 : 01:41:36 AM
Hi Patrick,

I am afraid maybe I misunderstood your first posted, and sorry for the inconvenience.

Getting the mean value for each bin for a column that does not be supported in a tool directly.

Could you please refer to the following forum? In the forth posted, it shows detail steps for how to get the mean value of the bins in a column.
http://www.originlab.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20307

Thanks
Jacqueline
OriginLab
pcomis2 Posted - 09/12/2016 : 09:47:26 AM
Hi Jacqueline, thanks for the response. I guess I just don't understand what the results of the 2D Frequency Counts/Binning tool are then. After selecting the tool with my two columns highlighted, I specify ends for my bins to be the minimum and maximum values in the columns and then for quantity to compute, I select mean. But the output worksheet isn't just two columns, rather, it's a data set of size 50x51. Shouldn't it be a data set of size 50x2 where the first column is the bin locations for X and the second column the corresponding mean values at location X for Y?

Thanks for your help,
Patrick
JacquelineHe Posted - 09/12/2016 : 04:14:00 AM
Hi Patrick,

Could you try to use 2D Frequency Counts/Binning tool (Select “Statistics: Descriptive Statistics: 2D Frequency Counts/Binning” in the menu), and choose Mean as the Quantity to Compute in the dialog.
Then it will compute and output mean for each bin.
Please refer to:
http://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/2D-Freq-Count-Binning

Thanks
Jacqueline
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000