The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Frequency Counts But with Averages, Not Counting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

pcomis2

3 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2016 :  7:50:15 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hello Everyone,

I have a set of data (two columns, X and Y) and I'm wondering if there is a way to perform a binning operation much like a histogram or the frequency counts option in descriptive statistics, except I want to calculate the average, not counts or frequency. Essentially I would like to arrange my set of data into a specified number of bins (going from 5,929 data points to 50, i.e. 50 bins) and calculate the average of Y in each corresponding X bin. My intended result of this operation would then be to plot the 50 data points located at the bins from the X column each with a corresponding average value in the Y column. Does anyone know how this can be done?

Thank you for any help or ideas,
Patrick

Origin Ver. and Service Release: OriginPro 2015 (64-bit) Sr2 b9.2.272 (Academic)
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (Version 1511)

JacquelineHe

287 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2016 :  04:14:00 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Patrick,

Could you try to use 2D Frequency Counts/Binning tool (Select “Statistics: Descriptive Statistics: 2D Frequency Counts/Binning” in the menu), and choose Mean as the Quantity to Compute in the dialog.
Then it will compute and output mean for each bin.
Please refer to:
http://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/2D-Freq-Count-Binning

Thanks
Jacqueline
OriginLab

Edited by - JacquelineHe on 09/12/2016 04:53:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

pcomis2

3 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2016 :  09:47:26 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Jacqueline, thanks for the response. I guess I just don't understand what the results of the 2D Frequency Counts/Binning tool are then. After selecting the tool with my two columns highlighted, I specify ends for my bins to be the minimum and maximum values in the columns and then for quantity to compute, I select mean. But the output worksheet isn't just two columns, rather, it's a data set of size 50x51. Shouldn't it be a data set of size 50x2 where the first column is the bin locations for X and the second column the corresponding mean values at location X for Y?

Thanks for your help,
Patrick
Go to Top of Page

JacquelineHe

287 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2016 :  01:41:36 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Patrick,

I am afraid maybe I misunderstood your first posted, and sorry for the inconvenience.

Getting the mean value for each bin for a column that does not be supported in a tool directly.

Could you please refer to the following forum? In the forth posted, it shows detail steps for how to get the mean value of the bins in a column.
http://www.originlab.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20307

Thanks
Jacqueline
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000