The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 matching two slopes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
morad85 Posted - 05/03/2017 : 07:53:38 AM
Hi everybody,

I have two data readings for the same experiment but there is a deviation between them as shown in the attached graph.

How can I make them the same so that I can get the same slope for the linear parts. (in other words, I need to match the slopes where the x-axis range from 1 to 5). Assume the new graph is the correct one

Best regards,

<font color="purple">Morad</font id="purple">
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
morad85 Posted - 05/04/2017 : 02:12:51 AM
So many thanks for the useful information!
Cheers,
Morad.

<font color="purple">Morad</font id="purple">
arstern Posted - 05/03/2017 : 10:35:58 AM
Hello,

To set the old data to have the same slope as the new data, you can first find the slope of the new data and then create a linear fit for the old data with the same slope at a certain x -range. (note: looking at your graph, you may want to use a nonlinear fit, that's something you will have to test out)

To do this:

1) Find the slope for the new plot between an x range:
You can use the Linear Quick fit Gadget: http://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/QuickFit-Gadget. You can set the gadget to find the slope between x = 1:5 by dragging the yellow box.

2) To create a fit you may want to set the curve to fit through a certain point i.e. at the point where x = 1. You can use a direct weighting method. http://www.originlab.com/doc/Tutorials/Fitting-FixThroughPoint

Create a new column next to your old XY column data. For this new column set it as a y-error column. Input into the rows a small error value i.e. 0.01, except for at the row where you want to set the line through a certain value (i.e. x = 1), input a larger error value that will stand out. i.e. input the value 1.

3) Next, select your old data points on the graph and select Analysis --> Fitting. Select Linear Fitting. With the Linear Fit dialog box open, select --> the Input Tab and select--> By X for the Rows Tab. Input your range of x values i.e. From 1 to 5.

Select the Fit Control tab and select Fix slope. Input the slope value that was retrieved from the step 1. Select --> Direct Weighting tab for Errors as Weights.

For the fitted curve, if you want to have the same number of points from your old data: Under the fitted curves plot tab, under the X Data type tab ---> select Same as Input Data tab.

--Aviel
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000