The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 3D waterfall plot with unequal spacing in z-axis

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
appleAMS Posted - 06/15/2009 : 3:06:45 PM
Origin Version (Select Help-->About Origin): Origin 8 SR1 v8.0773 (B773)
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Dear all,

I have ~30 X-Y datasets (X-axis is for energy and Y-axis is for intensity) measured at different temperatures (temperature is Z-axis).
I plotted these datasets in a 3D waterfall plot (see the figure below).

Since the temperatures were not equally spaced (for example, the datasets were measured at 20 C, 30 C, and 80 C...),
however, I would like to place the X-Y dataset with an unequal spacing along the temperature z-axis.

From the previous posts, I learned the way how to put the (temperature) lable on the X-Y datasets equally spaced along Z-axis,
but could not figure out how to make 3D waterfall plot with an unequal spacing in z-axis.
Could anyone please help me how to do this?

Thanks for your help in advance,
Susumu
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
appleAMS Posted - 06/16/2009 : 1:08:55 PM
Hi Easwar,

I think that the 2D waterfall plot using a system parameter is closest to what I wanted to have.
I am looking forward to the implementation of z-axis in a waterfall plot in the future release.
I appreciate your help a lot.

All my best,
Susumu
easwar Posted - 06/16/2009 : 12:53:31 PM
Hi Susmu,

We will look into adding Z axis for the waterfall plot in a future release, thanks for bringing this up.

As for the 3DXYY-Waterfall, there does not appear to be any way to make the Z axis be based on actual "z values", it only does evenly spaced.

So currently there does not seem to be a workaround to get the plot you need. The closest is the waterfall plot with labels which at least places the curves at the actual z value spacings.

Easwar
OriginLab
appleAMS Posted - 06/16/2009 : 11:09:03 AM
Hi Easwar,

Thanks for your clarification on the 2D waterfall plot!

Is it possible to set up z-axis instead of placing a label on the X-Y dataset?
For example, prepare one column dataset for Z-axis and use it in the 3D XYY waterfall plot or 3D XYZ plot.

Thanks for your help,
Susumu
easwar Posted - 06/16/2009 : 09:34:18 AM
Hi Susumu,

The plot type I mentioned does not support drawing a z axis and only supports placing labels. The XY curves however are placed at the actual z values and not evenly spaced, as you can see from this picture:

To customize the Z axis direction etc you can double click on the X or Y axis and bring up Layer dialog and then on Scale tab switch to Z axis and set the from and to values etc.

Easwar
OriginLab

appleAMS Posted - 06/15/2009 : 5:45:53 PM
Hi easwar,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I tried the 2D waterfall plot you suggested.
If I understood the procedure correctly, we could adjust the label increment on the Z-axis but the spectra are still plotted with an equal spacing.

If we have three X-Y datasets (energy - intensity) measured at unevenly spaced Z values (temperature),
X-Y dataset1 (z= 20 C), X-Y dataset2 (z= 30 C), X-Y dataset3 (z= 80 C).
I would like to place each spectrum at its z-value along Z-axis (for example, plot X-Y dataset3 at z=80) instead of putting the label on each spectrum.
Is there any way to do this?

Again thanks for your answer.
Susumu
easwar Posted - 06/15/2009 : 3:27:54 PM
Hi Susumu,

There is another way to make waterfall plot with the unevenly spaced Z axis as you need to. Select your data and then select the menu item: Plot->Multi-curve->Waterfall

See this help page (this page is in your Origin help) for further details:
http://originlab.com/www/helponline/Origin8/en/customzing_your_graph/customizing_waterfall_plots.htm

If the Z values are stored in a System Parameter row, then the legend -p script command can be used to turn on the z axis labels.

Easwar
OriginLab

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000