The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
 All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Logarithmic regression and right Y-axis only

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Anti-Spam Code:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkUpload FileInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dhpii Posted - 05/21/2011 : 09:38:16 AM
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): OriginPro 8.5.0 (acedemic)
Operating System: Windows seven

Hi All,

Please help me out with these two problems:

1)
How do you make a Logarithmic fit (regression) on a dataset in a plot with log-scale X-axis and linear Y-axis. The equation should be y = b*ln(x) + a. I know this can be done in Excel but I'm lost in Origin.

2)
I need to change my Y-axis from being left to right (w/o adding an extra Y-axis) - how can this be done?

I should mention that I'm new at Origin, so please bear with me!
Thanks!

David
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ccu Posted - 07/23/2011 : 11:21:38 AM
I see...this setting regard the log scale as linear scale to perform linear fitting... Thanks for your effort!
Hideo Fujii Posted - 07/20/2011 : 3:53:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ccu

What is the meaning of "Apparent Fit" and what's the different with/without it? I don't really understand the explanation in help file.

Hi,

"Apparent Fit" means the fitting is performed "as it appears" on a non-linear scale. For example semi-log-on-X plot, the apparent fitting is based on the linear relationship: y = a + b*log(x) as shown in the screenshot below (both graphs are identical except linear X scale at right):

Does it make sense?

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
ccu Posted - 07/20/2011 : 03:32:21 AM
What is the meaning of "Apparent Fit" and what's the different with/without it? I don't really understand the explanation in help file.
dhpii Posted - 05/29/2011 : 6:52:35 PM
Hi Hideo Fujii,

Thanks for your help! It is really appreciated.

Though by doing a linear fit on the log scale I don't get the same slope and interception as I do by doing the same thing in MS Excel - that's why I wondered whether the linear fit could be used as a logarithmic regression.

BR
David
Hideo Fujii Posted - 05/23/2011 : 10:02:43 AM
Hi David,

For 1), as your fitting function is linear on log scale, you can perform the linear fit ("Analysis: Fitting: Linear Fit" menu) on the log-scaled plot. In the opened dialog, you can turn ON the check box of "Apparent Fit".

For 2), double-click your Y-axis, choose "Title&Format" tab, turn OFF the "Show Axis&Ticks" check box, select "Right" axis selection (icon), and turn ON the "Show Axis&Ticks" check box.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
dhpii Posted - 05/21/2011 : 09:41:25 AM
*Service release: SR1

The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000