The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 import ascii
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

bjorn

Gothenburg, Sweden
18 Posts

Posted - 02/10/1999 :  2:13:00 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hello,
I'm having some problems with ascii-files that has been added together. Somewhere half down the file is a textline which should trigg Origin to start reading into new columns. I also need to have both column names and col.labels read. The files could look something like below:
() contains line and Origin action

text (line 1, read as window name)
text (line 2-29, skip)
t e x t (line 30, read as col. names)
t e x t (line 31, read as col. labels)
1 2 3 4 (line 32- 1000, read as num. values)
t e x t (line 1001, read as new columns )
t e x t (line 1002, read as new col. labels)
1 2 3 4 (line 1003-2000, read as num. values)

Can this imported in a single action by setting the import ascii-settings correctly, I just can't get it to work?
(Im working with Origin 5.0)
Regards, Bjorn

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 02/17/1999 :  3:37:00 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I doubt there could be a particular setting for ASCII Import Options that would do what you want.

The closest I could see was to create a text object on the worksheet and name it HEADER and set When non-numeric is found in numeric fields: to Start new worksheet/Column in the ASCII Import Options.
After importing, all the information would be available in two worksheets for script access so you could write a LabTalk script to clean things up the way you like.

WHATWHERE
'Window Name'Name of Column 1 in each sheet
Group1 column namesNext-to-last line of first Worksheet HEADER object
Group1 column labelsLast line of first Worksheet HEADER object
Group1 dataIn the first worksheet
Group2 column namesFirst line of second worksheet header object
Group2 column labelsLast line of second worksheet header object
Group2 dataIn the second worksheet

Of course, you could contract with our Consulting Department to have them write a script to cleanly import the data into a single worksheet, and Origin Professional owners have tools that allow them to write such scripts on their own.

[This message has been edited by Greg (edited 02-17-99).]

[This message has been edited by rtoomey (edited 08-10-99).]

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000