The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 How to create a histogram?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

waterman123

3 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2012 :  07:25:32 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8G SR4
Operating System: Windows 7

Hi,

I want to create a diagram that looks like this:

As you can see, every column has got the same width and there is the same distance between two columns. So I guess I have to choose a histogram? But when I choose this type of diagram, it doesn't work:

I don't know what I have to do to and I can't find tutorials that solve a similar problem. May you help me, please?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2012 :  10:22:05 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Michael,

Your data has been already binned, so you don't need to run the menu of "histogram", but you can make a "column chart" ("Plot: Column/Bar/Pie: Column" menu) directly from column B. In addition, since your data in column A are not equally spaced as numbers, to make the columns equally spaced, you can set the column A as "categorical" (highlight the column A, and choose "Column: Set as Categorical" menu) so that the values are treated as text.

Hope the above information addresses the issue you have.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

waterman123

3 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2012 :  11:53:01 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Hideo Fujii,

thanks for your quick and helpful answer. There are only a few things I want to change. This is the current status:

http://www.abload.de/img/origin30tkak.png

But I don't know how to label (inscribe?) the colums. In a german tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JehwRiyDIKc @ 25seconds) the problem was fixed by choosing another type of diagram: "Spalte + Beschriftung", I guess it's something like "Column + Label/Caption/Inscribtion"
Unfortunatelly this type of diagram doesn't exist in the version I am using, so I don't know how to solve this problem.

Another problem I can't fix on my own is to rename the x-axis to the value of the "Streckenenergie" (18, 20, 23...). But this is not so important to me. I can fix it in a graphical software like gimp, too.

The most important thing is that the columns should not start at the beginning of the y-axis but at the value "Zero".

I edited the screenshot in "paint" so you can see how I want the diagram to look like:

http://www.abload.de/img/origin4cyuph.png

Thanks for help, again!
Go to Top of Page

waterman123

3 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  06:11:42 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

I am sorry for beeing impatient, but I have to submit my work next week. Please can you help me once again?

Thank you, Michael
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  10:43:13 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Michael,

Because of your version 8.0 of Origin, you cannot use the method to attach a label
directly from Plot Details dialog box as in the video tutorial. You need to use
the old traditional way for labeling from a label dataset as seen in the sample
screenshot below.

Here, first you create an extra duplication of column B, and designate as
a Label column (C(L)). To create, highlight col(B) and col(C), and run the Plot
menu as usual. Once created, from mthe Plot Details dialog, you can customize the
label angle, offset, etc. In addition, in your case, the label at the negative bar
should be below the bar, CTRL+DoubleClick on the negative label (=-2.2) of
the specific data point, and set the Y offset to a negative value like in the
screenshot. (To replace an already existing plot, you can use the Plot Setup
dialog as usual.)

Hope this helps.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

P.S. In the later versions, using the new direct way to attach the labels outside
of the bar, i.e., above for positive, and below for negative), it is very easy
to achieve that by specifying the "Position" option to "Outside End", so no need
such complicated way of the old Label dataset method which was described above.

Edited by - Hideo Fujii on 05/18/2012 4:24:31 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000