The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 I can nor use "reduce by group" function
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

edwardclhuang

Taiwan
9 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  04:25:36 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): OriginPro 8.6.0
Operating System:Win 7

Dear OriginLab

I have two columns of data:

A11 B11
A12 B12
A13 B13
A21 B21
A22 B22

Now I want to reduce them by an average by every 3 points. I try to use "reduce by group" function, but when I select the data, it shows "X coordinates of the curve are not monotonic." How can I do it then?

Thanks for reply in advance.

Chien-Lung Huang

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2012 :  5:59:21 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Chien-Lung Huang,

If you upgrade your Origin 8.6 to its SR3 (by "Check for Updates"), you get a better error message: "You must have numeric data to run this analysis". So, this is the reason literally.

If you simply want to extract the data every 3 points, you can choose "Worksheet: Reduce Rows: menu, and choose "Delete N Rows, then Skip M rows" for the Reduce Method, and set 2 to Delete Rows and 1 to Skip Rows.

Does this solve your problem?

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

edwardclhuang

Taiwan
9 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2012 :  08:41:04 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I upgrade it, but it shows right now "You must have numeric data to run this analysis".

Your suggestion will not work in my case, since I need to average A11+A12+A13. The way you suggest will left A13 after wards.

Anyway, I have successfully done it by a strange way. Initially, I have A(x) and B(y). I set A(x) as A(y), which means I don't have any x-variable in my worksheet. Then it works!!!

Share to other users who might face the same problem and again thank you for the reply.

All the best,

Chien-Lung
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2012 :  09:31:07 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Chien-Lung,

I'm sorry for having missed what you originally said about averaging.

Changing the designation of first column from X to Y has made the "reduce by group" work because, I think, Origin takes the index (i.e., row number, which is, of course a number, and monotonic) as the X dataset (at the left of Y's).

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

Edited by - Hideo Fujii on 06/20/2012 09:33:31 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000