The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Increasing or decreasing the data amount
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

primovinny

Brazil
3 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2012 :  3:56:09 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8.0891
Operating System: Windows XP

Hello guys,

I am having trouble to even explain what I am looking up at Origin: I have obtained two sets of different data (potential x electrical current and frequency shift x time) from two different softwares on a single experiment. The speed of data collection in both equipment is differente, what means that I have 400 values from one equipment (400 values for frequency and time) and 1800 values from the other one (1800 values for potential and electrical current). I want to make a plot of charge x frequency shift (where charge can be obtained by integration of the potential x electrical current graph), but I can't because the amount of values I have for each column is different (like I said, 400 and 1800). I do not want to make a 2 Y-axis graph, I need the linear coefficient from the charge x frequency shift graph. Only two options come to my mind: to increase the number of data from 400 to 1800 or to shrink the data from 1800 to 400. Doing this manually would take a long time and it wouldn't be very trustable, so i want to know if Origin can do it in someway.
I did not find this question in the serach function 'cause I don't even know how to explain it shortly!
Thanks in advance for the answer!

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2012 :  5:54:56 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi primovinny,

I'm not completely sure what you meant... but you can try to interpolate these
two sets of data (I suppose XY format), which can produce (equi-spaced) datapoints
with the identical X range.
Please see the screenshot below. You can open the interpolation tool by first
highlighting the Y column, and choose "Analysis: Mathematics: Interpolate/Extrapolate" menu.

Here, Book1 has wider X range, and run the interpolation tool to produce the new
set of XY columns. Then using the same values of Number of Points, X Minimum, and
X Maximum, I apply it to Book2. As you see, the 3rd X column has the same values in Book1's.
Now you can compare the Y's in both Book1 and Book2 in matching way.
(Note that since the X range of Book2 is narrower than in Book1, Book2's result contains
the extrapolation. If you need to take the safer side, you should take the narrower range.)

I hope this describes the way which you wanted. By the way, you can watch the
video tutorial for interpolation at:

http://www.originlab.com/Index.aspx?go=Support/VideoTutorials&pid=1889

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

Edited by - Hideo Fujii on 07/18/2012 6:01:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

primovinny

Brazil
3 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2012 :  6:29:48 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks Hideo, that was exactly what I was looking for!
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  11:24:39 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi primovinny,

If you want to preserve and utilize one of the original set of X values,
you can also use "Interpolate/Extrapolate Y from X" under "Analysis: Mathematics" menu.

Here, I first copied the X column of Book1 to Book3, and run the above mentioned menu command.
So, now col(B) in Book1 and col(D) of Book3 match.

So, the choice of the equally spaced result, or preserving the X reference is yours.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000