The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Sum of Exponential Fitting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

willsand

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2012 :  11:48:07 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8.5
Operating System:

Greetings, I am trying to write an equation that is a sum of exponentials of the form:

y = y0 - A1*exp(-x/t1) - A2*exp(-x/t2) - A3*exp(-x/t3) - A4*exp(-x/t4) - A5*exp(-x/t5)

I am trying to fit some lifetime decay data. I know that there is a sum of three exponential equation in the nonlinear fitting options but could anyone help me with adding two more exponentials. I would like to have the fitting automatically find the best fit of the data and be able to set limits(bounds) on the amplitude and time constants. Any help would be greatly appreciated

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2012 :  3:50:59 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Even the second order exponential is already over-parameterized so adding three more terms would benefit from setting bounds.
You can define Parameter initialization as
//Code to be executed to initialize parameters
int sign;
t1 = get_exponent(x_data, y_data, &y0, &A1, &sign);
t1 = t2 = t3 = t4 = t5 = -1 / t1;
A1 = A2 = A3 = A4 = A5 = sign * exp(A1) / 3;

You will get error messages about mutual dependencies and fit not converging, but you should get a fit. The fitting process does not determine the bounds for parameters; you do. Based on your knowledge of what each parameter physically means, you set the bounds appropriately to limit the range over which the fitter will try to converge on a solution.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000