The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Density Curve
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Rick05

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  10:59:47 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi,

I have a spreadsheet of lat, lon and depth of earthquakes.

I wondered if there is a way of making a 2d density plot for the points in origin and getting graphs of the density of points for lon vs depth and lat vs depth?

Thank you for your help,

Rick

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  11:19:46 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Rick,

You did not mention what version of Origin you have....you can try the following in 8.6, which is our current version. If you don't have 8.6, download the eval version to try:

I am assuming your worksheet has three cols. Set the third column to be type Z, and then with that column selected, invoke the menu: Plot->Contours->Contour Profiles.
You will get a contour plot of your data and then you can move the vertical and horizontal profile lines to get projections.

Is this what you are looking for? If not, please send your file to tech support, use the "Send file to tech support" link on top right of this page and refer to this post.

Easwar
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

Rick05

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  11:40:18 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

I have version 8.6, thanks that works but what if I just want a 2-d plot of say lat vs depth?

is that possible?

Cheers,

Rick

quote:
Originally posted by easwar

Hi Rick,

You did not mention what version of Origin you have....you can try the following in 8.6, which is our current version. If you don't have 8.6, download the eval version to try:

I am assuming your worksheet has three cols. Set the third column to be type Z, and then with that column selected, invoke the menu: Plot->Contours->Contour Profiles.
You will get a contour plot of your data and then you can move the vertical and horizontal profile lines to get projections.

Is this what you are looking for? If not, please send your file to tech support, use the "Send file to tech support" link on top right of this page and refer to this post.

Easwar
OriginLab

Go to Top of Page

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  1:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Rick,

to create a 2D plot of two arbitrary columns, first make sure no column is selected in your worksheet, and then use the Plot menu and select a plot such as Plot->Line->Line. The Plot Setup dialog will open and you can assign your X and Y columns in that dialog.

We have many movies on graphing in our video tutorials area:
http://www.originlab.com/videotutorials

Easwar
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

Rick05

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  5:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

sorry i meant a 2-d density plot, is that possible?

quote:

Hi Rick,

to create a 2D plot of two arbitrary columns, first make sure no column is selected in your worksheet, and then use the Plot menu and select a plot such as Plot->Line->Line. The Plot Setup dialog will open and you can assign your X and Y columns in that dialog.

We have many movies on graphing in our video tutorials area:
http://www.originlab.com/videotutorials

Easwar
OriginLab

Go to Top of Page

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  8:52:09 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Rick,

Sorry, I misunderstood...I think what you are looking for is 2D Histogram or 2D Binning..

Without selecting any column, use the Statistics: Descriptive Statistics: 2D Frequency Count/Binning menu item. In the dialog that opens, expand the Input and Range1 nodes and then assign columns as desired to X and Y. In the dialog, towards the bottom, there is option to output a matrix, check that. Then you will get a matrix with binned results from the two columns you selected, and you can plot the matrix as 3D bars, contour, surface etc.

Is this what you wanted?

Easwar
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

Rick05

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2012 :  04:29:52 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Kind of, that is one way of doing it.

I am really looking to have a contoured 2-d plot of my scatter graph. As it is the depth vs latitude of earthquakes and there are about 4000 of them, I want to plot the show the areas of increased earthquakes numbers vs areas of low activity, so the density of earthquakes,

Is that possible?

quote:

Hi Rick,

Sorry, I misunderstood...I think what you are looking for is 2D Histogram or 2D Binning..

Without selecting any column, use the Statistics: Descriptive Statistics: 2D Frequency Count/Binning menu item. In the dialog that opens, expand the Input and Range1 nodes and then assign columns as desired to X and Y. In the dialog, towards the bottom, there is option to output a matrix, check that. Then you will get a matrix with binned results from the two columns you selected, and you can plot the matrix as 3D bars, contour, surface etc.

Is this what you wanted?

Easwar
OriginLab

Go to Top of Page

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2012 :  11:29:40 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Rick,

You can add a scatter plot to the contour, to show where the raw data points fall....

Perhaps at this point best is you send your data to tech support and if you have any image of the type of graph you are trying to make, send that too, and we can send you back an Origin project.

Use the "Send file to tech support" link on the top of this page, and refer to this post in your message.

Easwar
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2012 :  1:56:56 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The following thread might also help...

http://www.originlab.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9870

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

Rick05

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2012 :  11:04:18 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks for the link,

i am not sure if that solves it as i do not have z-values, just latitude and depth of earthquakes and I need just contours showing the density of earthquakes in a 2-d plot

is this possible?

quote:
Originally posted by Hideo Fujii

The following thread might also help...

http://www.originlab.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9870

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

Go to Top of Page

Drbobshepherd

USA
Posted - 10/01/2012 :  10:58:57 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
It appears to me you are seeking to plot earthquake counts as a function of lat and lon.

Try using the Statistics->Descriptive Statistics->2D Frequency Count/Binning pull-down menu item on your data.

DrBobShepherd
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000