The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Problem loading OPJ file with long pathnames
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

marko

Germany
112 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2001 :  10:34:07 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi,

I met a very strange behaviour of origin 6.1SR4 concerning the handling of a path to an origin project. When there is still no project running a call of origin with the long path to the project is done without problems, i.e. the project gets loaded.
BUT, as soon as a server is present, i.e. at least one origin is running, a long pathname is not properly interpreted anymore. Only a message box appears telling that the file with the name "xxx....." does not exist. If you have a look at what Origin presents at this point as the file name, one can see that it gets screwed up with some loop-like repetition of the filename.

Try for instance:

origin61.exe "P:\Test\New Folder, Level One\New Folder, Level Two\New Folder, Level Three\99 mm TT, 1.0 mm XXX, 2.2 mm HHH, 0.5 mm HW, Tc1180.OPJ"

This will start Origin with the loaded project.

A second call of this will end up in that mentioned error message telling us that:

"P:\Test\New Folder, Level One\New Folder, Level Two\New Folder, Level Three\99 mm TT, 1.0 mm XXX, 2.2 mm HHH, 0.5 mm HWP:\Test\New.OPJ"

cannot be found!

Watch the strange merge of the beginning of the path to the project into the projects name. Somehow it seems to be connected to use of commas, spaces and directory structure...

Origin programmers should have a clue about what might go on here.

Any hints how to avoid this problem?

PS: Forgot to mention that this seems to occur on all WXXXX platforms.

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2001 :  2:52:59 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The Windows Run dialog on my Windows 98 system appears to have two character limits. One is the number of characters accepted and the other depends on how the characters are entered : either by typing or pasting. It appears you can enter more characters than the dialog will accept and you will see the odd truncation and duplication noted above. (This was verified using Notepad and a text file.) There seems to be cases around the limit which produce no error message and no file! Beyond this fuzzy region, you see the dialog mentioned above.

If you are only a few characters 'too long', try to shorten the string by using the Start command

Replace origin61.exe with start

Go to Top of Page

marko

Germany
112 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2001 :  04:05:08 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
:( That means that the DDE seems to have similar limits then! Another strange Windows quirk. What a pity, since MSWindows doesn't provide eventually what it promised. :(

Thanks for the response, Greg. I was already afraid that this is not a Microcal issue at last, rather Windows. So there doesn't seem to be a quick solution of this problem possible.

Makro

Go to Top of Page

allinux

Romania
1 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  09:57:08 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I had the same problem: solution replace '%' character in the folder and file names with '_' .. ha-ha ! it looks like 'Origin' conflicts with '%' .. that's all ;)

alinux

Edited by - allinux on 04/13/2017 10:03:50 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000