The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 1 channel shift in fft / ifft?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

kfauth

Germany
33 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2002 :  02:30:25 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
I am presently testing new routines of mine
(for use within nlsf) that use forward and backward fft operations. I have had systematic deviations from my expectations and believe to have traced them down to the following:

Let us consider datasets of length 1024.

Data_A is zero everywhere except "1" in channel 512 (or any other channel)

Consider a "response" function nonzero in
time space in three channels. In order to convolute the two, we give the response function in the shifted configuration:

Thus, the response function is zero everywhere except, e.g.:
resp[1]= 0.8
resp[2]= 0.1
resp[3]=...=resp[1023]=0
resp[1024] = 0.1

(This is in fact a symmetric response function but I intend to use the routines with nonsymmetric ones)

Now fft-ing the two datasets from script with the appropriate settings (unchecked items normalize, shift results), complex
multiplication and appropriate backward
fft yields indeed a replica of the response function, however, its center (value 0.8) is shifted by one channel to the left
(i.e. channel 511 instead of 512) with respect to the original data_A.

Now, this is important, since I want to use it in a fitting routine and the shift will produce systematic offsets, won't it?

Thanks for any help.

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2002 :  1:24:54 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sorry, this is as clear as mud to me. Why not send a project and script to tech@originlab.com?

Go to Top of Page

kfauth

Germany
33 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2002 :  01:16:30 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The issue is solved. Sorry to have waisted your time.
It was an error of mine in porting code. This post could
well be removed from the forum.
Kai
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000