The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 New to OriginPro - Simple Questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

avitale

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  11:47:06 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): OriginPro 8 SRO 8.0724
Operating System: Windows 7

Hello. I am a graduate student, and I'm new to using Origin Pro. I have, like a lot of people, been using Excel for most applications for the majority of my work, but my advisor wants me to get proficient using Origin for our research. I've been working with it for a few day and just have some small simple questions I figured I'd throw in here when they arise. The questions are really simple, but even so I'm finding some difficulty in figuring these out.

First, how do I do a simple Average (mean) a block of cells? I have cells in column C from 2 to 11. In Excel, I'd just click the cell I want the average in and type something like =AVERAGE(C2:C11).

Second, when making a simple scatter plot, do I have to have my data for Axes in succession in a column? Say I have this data:

X1A Y1A
X2A Y2A
X3A Y3A
X1B Y1B
X2B Y2B
X3B Y3B
X1C Y1C
X2C Y2C
X3C Y3C

I want to plot the points (X1A,Y1A) (X1B,Y1B) (X1C,Y1C), is this possible? Looking at the "Plot Setup" menu, it looks like axis data has to be data in succession.

Graduate Student

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  4:38:11 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
FIRST
With a block of text selected, choose Statistics : Descriptive Statistics : Statistics on Columns.
For Input Data, select "Combined as Single dataset" to get stats for all, otherwise you get a column breakdown.

A quicker way that involves some special syntax is to open the command window and type:
stats (startcol[startrow]:endcol[endrow])
and press enter. For example:
stats (1[5]:4[20])
will report stats for column 1 thru 4, rows 5 thru 20.

SECOND
If your column designations are correct (X1A etc is an X column and Y1A is a Y column) then you can use Ctrl+selection to grab just
Y1A
Y1B
Y1C
then select your Plot type from the menu
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000