The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Wavelet scale to frequency
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

misi2096

3 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2012 :  1:11:29 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hello!

I want to analyze the time-frequency domain of evoked potential oscillations from EEG data with continuous wavelet transform. More specifically I would like to plot it like time (basically timepoints) on X-axis and frequency (pseudo-frequency) in Hz on Y-axis.

Can you tell me how to convert Morlet wavelet scales to frequencies? According to MATLAB documentation I would have to know the central frequency (sometimes referred to as center freq.) of the Morlet wavelet to be able to compute the pseudo-frequencies table.
MATLAB states, that the formula is: ps.F = centr.F / ( scale * sampl.period) and for MATLAB's built in Morlet wavelet it states central frequency as 0.8125.

Here you can see the mismatch:

I've read the English documentation but I still don't understand what the "Wave number" parameter stands for when using Morlet wavelets. Does it have something to do with the desired central frequency?

Thank you in advance!

misi2096

3 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2012 :  1:14:44 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention, sampling frequency is 5000 Hz therefore sampling period is 1/5000 = 0.0002
Go to Top of Page

Penn

China
644 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  02:11:16 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Currently, Origin 9.0 SR1 (or earlier version) does not provide the way to generate the pseudo-frequencies from scales. However, there is already a plan (ID is ORG-5373) to add support for such functionality.

Penn
Go to Top of Page

misi2096

3 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  02:30:54 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I see, but can you tell me what the Wave number parameter stands for in the Analysis -> Signal processing -> Wavelet -> Continuous wavelet window when using Morlet wavelet? It is mentioned here also: http://www.originlab.com/www/helponline/Origin/en/programming/mergedProjects/X-Function/X-Function/Cwt.html#Variables

Or can you tell me where did you implant the continuous wavelet analysis feature?

Thank you in advance!
Go to Top of Page

Penn

China
644 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  05:03:10 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

You can refer to this page for more details about the wave number.

Penn
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2015 :  10:24:14 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
For visitors to this thread,

The above link in Penn's post has been changed to:

http://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/Continuous-WaveTrans

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000