The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 how to put erro bar sign on the side of the graph
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

yi zhu

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  01:57:20 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi, Origin engineer:

When I try to put error bar on one curve,using the default way that each data point associated with an error bar. I find out that the error bar is too small be clearly seen. I wonder if I can put the error bar sign just beside the curve (like a legend)instead of error bar for each data point?

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2012 :  11:48:17 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi yi zhu,

Currently, error bars don't have independent offset control, but you can plot the same data points
"twice" with an offset. Here is one possible work-around:

1) Make a plot XY with no YErr. (from col(A) and col(B) in the sample)
2) Double-click the layer icon to show the Layer Contents dialog.
Move both Y data and YErr data in the left panel to the right panel.
3) Still in Layer Contents dialog, choose both Y datasets (actuallt the same), and press
"Group" button. (See screenshot.) Click OK.

4) Double-click a plot to show Plot Details dialog. In the left panel of the dialog, choose "Layer1" branch.
Then, select "Stack" tab, turn ON the "Individual" radio button, and turn ON the check box of "X".
5) In the left panel of the dialog, choose the first plot ("A[X] B[Y]" in the sample),
choose "Group" tab, and select "Independent" radio button for editing.

6) In the left panel of the dialog, choose the second plot (another "A[X] B[Y]"), and enter the X offset value (0.5 in my sample).
Also, choose "Symbol" tab, and set the symbol size to 0.

7) In the left panel of the dialog, choose the YErr dataset ("A[X] B[Y] C[yEr]" in the sample), and turn ON the
"Through Symbol" check box. Click OK to close Plot Detail dialog.

Of course, you can customize any plot attributes like error bar color, thickness, etc.

Hope this works for you.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000