The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 make long name = value in cell in another column
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

nmack536

1 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2013 :  09:38:38 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8.6
Operating System: Windows

Hello, I am new to using Origin and I am trying to figure out something that seemed simple enough at first. I have data that import several curves where each curve is in its own sheet. I then import another file that has the long names for each of the curves i previously imported saved in a column.

I want to set the long name of each curve to the corresponding value in the sheet that contains them. I can't seem to get it to work. I know how to set a variable to equal the value in a cell, and i know how to change the long name of a column using wks.col2.label$ but when i set it to equal the variable it sets the long name to the variable name not the variable value.

Hope this makes sense. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Drbobshepherd

USA
Posted - 05/17/2013 :  10:36:22 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The wks.colX.label$ structure is legacy; it was developed before the column labels were expanded.

Try

col(2)[L]$=col(1)[3]$; // Set Longname of col(2) to string in col(1), row(3).

This newer way to assign values to column labels is similar to the command for assigning values to cells,

col(2)[1]=col(1)[4]; // Set col(2), row(1) to value in col(1), row(4).

DrBobShepherd
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2013 :  6:04:40 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

If you copy the long name cell and then go to the long name cell of the curve sheet. Right click and choose Paste Link.
It works too.

And you can see cell://Sheet2!A[2] syntax is used.

So u can also do
col(2)[L]$="cell://Sheet2!A[2]" in Script window.

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000