The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 varying the symbol type in contour graphs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

campag

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  10:07:50 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
I am creating a color-fill contour plot using Origin v 8.5.1(Academic). I can 'show data points' on the contour figure, but they are all the same symbol (filled circles). How do I use different symbols for different subsets of the data (e.g., rows 1-30 circles, rows 31-50 triangles, etc.)?

thanks.

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  11:21:52 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
You have no control over any aspect of the symbols added by checking the "Show Data Points" check box.
Instead, do the following:
Go to your XYZ worksheet and add a column
Select rows 1 to 30 in this column and press Ctrl+Q (to open Set Values)
Enter 2 and click OK
Repeat as needed to enter other values
(1 = Square, 2 = Circle, 3 = Up Triangle, etc.)
Select the Y column in your worksheet
Go to the Contour graph and choose Graph : Add Plot to Layer : Scatter
You should see the scatter points in your graph
Double click on one scatter point to open Plot Details
On the Symbol tab, check "Custom Construction"
In the Shape drop-down list, choose your added column - e.g. Col(D)
Set Size and color as desired
Click OK
Go to Top of Page

campag

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2013 :  3:31:23 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks, but it didn't work. When I follow these directions and try to put in four different symbols (1,2, 3, 4) I get four rows of symbols attached to the X-values. So in other words, it is treating it like an X-Y graph. Am I doing something wrong?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000