The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Fill area under curves (gradient fill) in 3D plot
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

b-1

10 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  04:44:55 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): OriginPro 8.5.1 SR1
Operating System: Windows 7

Dear Origin experts,

In a 2D plot it is possible to fill the area under a curve with a gradient fill. Now I have 8 curves that I want to plot this way, but in 3D with some third variable in vertical direction.

The best - albeit not easy - way for this seems to be to place almost vertical matrices (surface type) under my data curves (3D scatter) and use level dependent limited mixing for coloration.

For one data curve and one matrix this works perfectly. I can see both, the data points and the matrix area beneath with a gradient-like fill. But when I put a second matrix into the 3D plot I get the error message: "Surface Intersection Disabled! All the matrix-based plots must be surface type and share exactly the same XY.". In addition, the two matrices are shown in the 3D plot but all the 8 data curves are invisible (although not hidden in plot properties). Since the XY plane contains the third variable, the matrices can't have the same XY. They are not meant to be above each other but side by side.

Is there a way to solve this problem and i.e. put 8 matrices side by side plus 8 3D-scatter curves into one 3D plot?

Thank you in advance for all your thoughts!

Kathy_Wang

China
159 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  05:35:29 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Intersecting surfaces from different X or Y is supported only from Origin 9.0 with OpenGL based 3D graphs, you can download the evaluation for 9.0 to have a try.

Kathy
Originlab
Go to Top of Page

b-1

10 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  07:29:46 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Kathy,

thank you for your fast response. I now installed Origin 9.0 SR2. Plotting the matrices is much (!) faster now, but unfortunately the major problem remains.

If I hide one of the two matrices, I can see the 8 scatter curves and the remaining matrix, but as soon as two matrices are active only those can be seen and the scatter data disappears from the plot. Again there is the same error message from above.

Is there any workaround? Might the opj-file be corrupted (created with version 8.5.1)?
Go to Top of Page

Kathy_Wang

China
159 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2013 :  10:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Normally if you are using openGL 3D graphs (i.e. with Origin 9.0 or above and the system variable @ogl=1), you should not meet this error message.

Is it possible to share your OPJ file to us for further investigation? To do so, please click the Send File to Tech Support link in the top right corner of the forum main page and follow the instructions there.

Kathy
Originlab
Go to Top of Page

Kathy_Wang

China
159 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2013 :  04:33:23 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi again,

I received your OPJ and replied via Email. The problem occurs because you're still having a non-openGL based 3D graph, either you can create a new 3D graph from the very beginning in 9.0 with openGL enabled (i.e. @ogl = 1), or you could convert from earlier versions.

Kathy
Originlab
Go to Top of Page

b-1

10 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2013 :  08:56:25 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Kathy,

thank you very much for your helpful answers! The plot works/looks like intended when a really openGL-based graph is made.

However there is a new warning in the message log now: "WARN0010007: OpenGL version used by this Origin session is too low to support anti-aliasing."
The version shown in the 3D OpenGL Settings window is 2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2827. After installing the latest drivers for my graphics card this version of openGL stayed the same.

Although I don't notice any problems yet, might this influence the output graph?

Thank you so much!
b-1
Go to Top of Page

Kathy_Wang

China
159 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2013 :  10:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Anti-aliasing improves the quality of the graph (both in screen display and exported graph). Basically, it makes the lines appear smoother.

I took two screenshots for the same 3D graph with and without anti-aliasing so that you may have an idea of this effect:

This image is without anti-aliasing:

This image is with anti-aliasing:

Kathy
Originlab
Go to Top of Page

b-1

10 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2013 :  05:44:27 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Kathy,

thank you for these example images. Actually I get better results when using another computer (with slightly higher version of openGL).

With all this help from you it will become a really nice plot now. Thanks again for these fast and helpful solutions to my problems!

Best wishes
b-1
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000