The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Measure distance between two points
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

gydlake2013

14 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2013 :  09:51:52 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): OriginPro 9.0.0(32bit) SR1
Operating System:Winxp

Hi,

I just changed from Origin 7.5 to OriginPro 9. The previous methods, used in 7.5 for measuring distance, don't work properly in the new version. Is there a built-in function in the new version to do it, or something else suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2013 :  11:26:58 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

Do you mean this tool in our File Exchange?

http://www.originlab.com/FileExchange/details.aspx?fid=115
It works in 9.0 as well.

You can download it and drag and drop it into Origin 9 and start using it right away.

Thanks, Snow Li
OriginLab Corp.

Edited by - snowli on 06/26/2013 11:50:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

gydlake2013

14 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2013 :  4:47:14 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Dear Snow Li,

Thank you for your reply! I installed that tool in both of the versions: it works in 9.0 at the beginning, but the difference compared to 7.5 is that I couldn't delete the two-arrow-red-line when I press the DEL key in 9.0 (there is no such problem in 7.5). Did I do something wrong?

Edited by - gydlake2013 on 06/26/2013 4:48:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Echo_Chu

China
Posted - 06/26/2013 :  11:36:54 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
hi, John

In Origin 9, I suggest you use data cursor to measure the distance between two points.

You can learn how to do that from the tutorial below

http://qhwiki.originlab.com/~originla/howto/index.php?title=Tutorial%3AUse_Data_Cursor_to_Show_the_Difference_between_the_Data

Please note that after you are all set in step 9, you can save the settings as theme, so next time you don't have to do all the steps to set up the difference and cursor1, cursor2 etc
Go to Top of Page

gydlake2013

14 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2013 :  03:04:07 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Dear Echo Chu,
Thank you very much for your suggestion! Now I can use the cursors to do the task.

Of course, the tool mentioned by Snow Li is easy to use if the bug (the line can not be deleted) can be solved.

Edited by - gydlake2013 on 06/27/2013 03:17:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2013 :  09:50:10 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Starting with 8.0 we decided to protect objects with script from accidental deletion. To delete these 'smart' objects, Alt+DoubleClick on the object to open Programming Control. Set the Script, Run After to None and click OK. You can now delete the object.
You can also delete such objects when in Button Edit Mode - on the Edit menu. Remember to turn off Button Edit Mode when done.
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2013 :  11:53:17 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

Data Info. window will only give dX and dY. No distance will be given. We will discuss if we should improve it for future versions.

We will also discuss with others how to improve this area. (deleting graphic object with script behind it).

Thanks, Snow Li
OriginLab Corp.
Go to Top of Page

gydlake2013

14 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  03:13:31 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello, Greg and Snow Li,

Thank you for the information! Now I can use the two methods: cursors and tool button.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000