The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 plot data as hanging columns
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Konrad Beck

UK
Posted - 06/25/2013 :  3:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. 7.5 and Service Release 6
Operating System:WIndows XP SP3

I want to plot two sets of data as Columns: one set with positive values sitting on the base as is easily possible using the Plot--->Column option, but the other set (same x-values) with negative values should be hanging columns, i.e. pointing downwards, directly extending from the upper, positive columns.

I could manipulate that e.g. in Powerpoint (with all axis labels to be re-typed), but I am sure that I have seen such graphs generated with Origin.

Any help is most appreciated.

cpyang

USA
1406 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2013 :  11:40:19 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
There is no direct plotting of the two dataset to produce such effect, even though we can add this option in our next version coming up soon.

You can easily achieve this by using a third column which is the sum and plot the positive column and this sum column together, and use 100% overlap without stacking them.

CP
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2013 :  11:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

I think you mean the Floating Column. In 7.5, it's under Plot: Special Bar/Column menu.

Usually it requires 2 or 3 Y columns.
1st Y column is starting position of the column.
2nd Y column is the intermediate position of the column.
3rd Y column is the ending Y position of the column.

Column from 1st Y to 2nd will plot as one color, and column from 2nd Y to 3rd will plot as a different color.

So I think you need to insert one column before your 1st Y column for base Y values.
And then need to add another column and set column value to the sum of our original two Y columns) to get the ending Y position.

Then select the Base Y, our original 1st Y and the ending Y and plot floating column graph.

Since Origin 8, we supported recalculation, so if you always have such data, it will be easier to import data and recalculate the ending position instead of manually calculating ending Y by set column values every time.

Thanks, Snow Li
OriginLab Corp.

Edited by - snowli on 06/26/2013 11:52:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Konrad Beck

UK
Posted - 06/27/2013 :  12:38:46 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks, Snow Li and cpyang.

Snow Li's answer is the way to go for me at the moment.
However, I have not mentioned in my original question, that each column should also have error bars. Unfortunately, the Floating Column approach seems not to allow this.
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2013 :  12:54:16 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Konrad,

Where do you want the error bars to be?

The error bar of positive column goes up after the intermediate position?
The error bar of negative columns go down below the hanging columns?

Is it OK that you email you data or opj to us with description what you want the graph to be like?

You can email tech@originlab.com, Attn: Snow.

Thanks, Snow Li
OriginLab Corp.
Go to Top of Page

Konrad Beck

UK
Posted - 06/27/2013 :  3:04:35 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks for your help; I have send a data file with a sample graph to snowli and echo; please don't duplicate your efforts, which are very much appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2013 :  10:43:02 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks Konrad,

Great to know your problem is solved.

FAQ: To plot negative columns as hanging columns down from 0, user can double click X axis to open Axis dialog.

Choose Grid Lines tab.
Check Y=0 in Additional Lines group.

BTW, since 7.5, we have improved columns so if user has two columns, one is positive, the other is negative, plotting stack column can plot positive upwards from 0 and negative downloads from 0 correctly and error bars are supported as well.

Thanks, Snow Li
OriginLab Corp.

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000