The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 about importing large fixed length ASCII file
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

HDMVDM

Japan
4 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2002 :  10:48:53 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
I would like to ask a help about importing a large fixed length ASCII file. I have several files (100MB to 400MB), each with about 100 rows and one million records. In File>Import>ASCII Option, I can only specify 7 or so row length, say, 10,2,5,6,7,7,8. Is there any way to specify about 100 rows?
I am using Japanese version of Origin 6.1117.
I really appreciate any help with importing or any shareware that can transform fixed length ASCII file to comma or tab spaced CSV file.

Mike Buess

USA
3037 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2002 :  12:53:22 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
If fixed length means each number has the same number of digits, select "Fixed, col widths:" in ASCII Options and enter that number to the right. Then you won't need delimiters.

I don't recall off hand what the maximum number of columns is in an Origin 6.1 worksheet, but it's much fewer than 1E6. So you won't be able to import all records to one worksheet in any case.

I'd try to import the whole file to a single column and sort it out later using LabTalk. If each record has the same number of rows (e.g., 100) then it would be straightforward to write a script to extract 500 or so records at a time to separate worksheets. The number of worksheets in your project may become unwieldy, but I can suggest a script to try if you're interested.

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member
Go to Top of Page

cpyang

USA
1406 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2002 :  6:29:36 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
From your description I think you meant 100 columns and you need to specify column width. You can specify as many as you can and the last one is used for the all remaining columns.

If you have Origin 7, this can be read easily by writing a simple Origin C program. We have included a sample called "EarthProbeData.c" to show how to read fixed width data into Origin.

CP

Go to Top of Page

HDMVDM

Japan
4 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2002 :  8:01:00 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Dear Mr.Mike Buess and CP:

Thank you very much for your help. I was wrong and I meant column width. I apologize for my English. Each column has a length of 10C,2N,5C,6C,7C,7C,8C, for instance, where C is the character and N is the numerical number.

CP, could you elaborate on how I can specify as many as I can? I can specify at most 17 single digit column width. If there any simple and easy code that I can use in Origin 6.1? Or is it better to uprade to Origin 7? I have never done any programming in C and I do not know how difficult to modify the exisiting code (the only programming I did was in Matlab).

I was thinking of using Origin just as an alternative to Excel in order to sort this large data set. Do you think it is perhaps better to use database software such as Oracle9i?

I really appreciate further help.

Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2002 :  12:10:05 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi HDMVDM,

We are planning to implement to accept a longer input string in the Fixed Column Width field in the ASCII Import Option. Do you think that the field length 400 bytes (as 100*(3byte[column pos]+1byte[comma] in specification) is long enough in your field of application? (Our Tracking# QA1987)

--Hideo

Go to Top of Page

HDMVDM

Japan
4 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2002 :  9:30:52 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Dear Hideo:

I checked the documentation of several database I have. The longest is 1400 byte. This is a combination of character data, numerical data and 2-byte character data.

I hope this helps!

Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  1:42:33 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:

I checked the documentation of several database I have. The longest is 1400 byte. This is a combination of character data, numerical data and 2-byte character data.

Hi,

could you please tell us how many data items in this 1400-buye-long record?

Thanks!

--Hideo

Go to Top of Page

HDMVDM

Japan
4 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  10:38:33 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Dear Hideo:
I sent an e-mail to one of the Japanese distributors who got in touch with me about this point. I sent hime an e-mail and asked him to send you two documentation files for the database I use.

Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2002 :  4:45:50 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:

I sent hime an e-mail and asked him to send you two documentation files for the database I use.

Great! Thank you very much!

--Hideo

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000