The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum for Programming
 LabTalk Forum
 Learning Labtalk
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Clairekun

Germany
175 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2013 :  3:52:01 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): Any
Operating System: Windows 7

Hello, I would like to know the best way to learn labtalk. I have browsed the wiki and the manual for version 8.5, but the former explains too little when trying to use advanced features and the latter is too basic to write a full script from scratch making use of them.

Since I have read it is based in C, would it be useful to learn this language? It would be worth it anyway because of my job but, if I could use this knowledge for "advanced" labtalk, it would be just perfect.

Is there a better approach for this? Thank you.

cdrozdowski111

USA
247 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2013 :  8:43:33 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hey,

I'm not a pro with Labtalk but I've written a bunch of complex scripts- maybe too complex. I was already familiar with simple programming so I had an advantage but the best way I found to learn Labtalk was to dig into scripts created by the folks at OriginLab.

There are some scripts in your User Folder and a few in the Origin folder. Try opening them in Code Builder and study how they do what they do.

One thing I do to ensure that I don't screw anything up is to copy the script files into a completely separate directory and open those in Code Builder. That way if I accidentally change anything in any files while digging through them, I won't mess up the original file.

The following is also a great resource:

http://wiki.originlab.com/~originla/ltwiki/index.php?title=Category:LabTalk_Programming

Go to Top of Page

Clairekun

Germany
175 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  03:59:25 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you, I'll start with that. Maybe after some time I won't have to post here every single time I need a script!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000