The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Plot Template Bug?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

t.f.kemp@warwick.ac.uk

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2013 :  05:59:59 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi,

OriginPro 8.5.1 SR2.
I'm having a problem with a plot template, I've set up a plot Multiple Panels by label and saved it as a template, if I go back to exactly the same data set and try to use the template instead of plotting the datasets in the panels by the comment label, Origin sequentially plots them in each panel.

Either I'm missing something really obvious or I've found a bug.

Thanks for any help!

Tom

Hopefully this helps to clarify what I've said above.
2 panels (P1,P2)
2 Different comments (C1,C2)
4 Date sets (D1,D2,D3,D4)
Data sets 1 and 2 have comments C1 and 3,4 comments C2.
I've set up D1, D2 plotted in P1 and D3,D4 plotted in P2.
What I always get it D1,D3 in P1 and D2,D4 in P2.

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2013 :  3:36:36 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Templates have no way of remembering how you plotted your data and for multiple selected columns plotting into multiple layers Origin uses the 'card dealer' method:
First data to first layer.
Next data to next layer, until data or layers are exhausted.
If layer limit is reached and there is more data, then start over with layer 1.

The Multiple Panels by Label plot is an exception since it opens a dialog and uses the selected identifier (Long Name, Comments, etc.) to determine how many layers are needed and 'deals' the data accordingly. The dialog also has controls for layout of the layers needed (one per identifier).

If you bypass the dialog by directly plotting into your template, then Origin starts 'dealing' again.

In the current design, the use of the particular template associated with Multiple Panels by Label is "mgroups.otp" may be problematic in that only at plot time will Origin know how many layers are needed, so if you save your template with excess layers, the excess will be empty. If you save your template with insufficient layers then Origin will automatically add more.

There is no bug here, but there is certainly room for improvement.

If you have a multi-layer template and you want to plot specific data to specific layers, then you should use the Plot Setup dialog with which you can choose which data goes to which layer while plotting.
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2013 :  5:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

We have just released Origin 9.1 which supports batch plotting with new worksheet/book with same structure.
http://originlab.com/index.aspx?go=Products/Origin/91/BatchPlot

So if user has plotted a graph with data all from the same sheet or book and user has other worksheets or books with same structure.

User can do batch plotting with new sheet/data without even need to save graph template.

Thanks, Snow
OriginLab Corp.

Edited by - snowli on 10/29/2013 5:37:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

t.f.kemp@warwick.ac.uk

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2013 :  04:41:42 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Thank you for those very complete responses, I'll contact our IT support to see if they have licenses for the new version of Origin, which should solve my problem.

Thanks

Tom
Go to Top of Page

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2013 :  10:17:16 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
If you create one graph using Multi-Curve : "Multiple Panels by Label" which has whatever maximum number of panels you may need, you can format all the layers to display the way you want and then choose File : Save Template As.. and accept the default name (mgroups).
If you go through the same menu option to create any other graphs, they should all be formatted the way you want and you only need to choose how many columns and rows to use for arranging the graphs.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000