The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Problem with Poisson Fit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

ShuoH

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2013 :  9:43:01 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin):
Operating System:

Hello, I met a problem when I tried to fit my histogram with poisson curve. Here is what my histogram likes.

After ploting my data in histogram and get the bin counts, I used analysis- fitting- non linear curve fit on the bin counts. However the fitting was poor and r value was really low. But when I tried to fit the bin counts with Gauss curve it worked.

I also tried double clicking on the histogram and brought the "Plot details" window, selected "data". Under the "Distribution curve", select "Possion". It didn't work either.

In addition, I also want to try "Peak analyzer". However the software only let me to do the Gauss Fit in the last step and I cannot choose a Poisson fit.

I appreciate it a lot for your help.

Best,
Shuo

lkb0221

China
497 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2013 :  2:15:44 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi, Shuo

Would you mind to send us your opj file so that we can see your data and address the problem?

Zheng
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2013 :  5:12:52 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Shuo,

Following is my rudimentary comment until more qualified answer appear:

As Poisson is a probability distribution function, the Y range is [0, 1], and as it is for
the occurrence probability, it a discrete function which takes 0, 1, 2,... as probability
variable. In both ways, your data doesn't match. As Poisson has only one parameter "r"
which determines the shape of the curve. if your purpose to determine this r by fitting,
you probably need to force scaling in both directions. For example, you can modify Poisson to:
y = u * nlf_Poisson(x*t, 0, r)
where u and t are scaling parameters in addition to r (and y offset was fixed to 0).
("nlf_" is a suffix to refer to a Origin's built-in function.) See my test run below.

Hope this suggests a few things useful.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

ShuoH

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2013 :  9:46:11 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello Zheng,

Thank you for your reply. Would you mind giving me an e-mail to send the file to you?

Thank you.

Shuo

quote:
Originally posted by lkb0221

Hi, Shuo

Would you mind to send us your opj file so that we can see your data and address the problem?

Zheng
OriginLab

Go to Top of Page

lkb0221

China
497 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2013 :  09:52:50 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi, Shuo

Please send your file to:
tech@originlab.com

Zheng
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000