The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 cos function nonlinear-fit - 5 parameters
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

crusty

3 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2014 :  12:14:42 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
9.0.0 G SR2 on WIN7

Hello,
I tried to make an nonlinear fit to this cosinus-equation:
y=A+B*cos((2*pi/(x))*(2-0,44*(p1+(p2^2/x^2)+(x^2/p3^2))))

The fit goes to too little periods. The equation is a non constant periodic cosinus function (white light interfermoetry).

Is there an option in Origin where I can select an area where the y value of the fit have to be positive/negative?

In my case the maxima and minima are critical and the amplitude is noncritical.

Can anybody help me or give me an hint/advice for this problem?

basti

Edited by - crusty on 05/16/2014 05:09:05 AM

Drbobshepherd

USA
Posted - 05/13/2014 :  11:43:11 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Basti,

Have you tried FFT analysis? Your function looks like an interferogram from an FTIR spectrometer, with zero-path-defference (ZPD) at 1048. Split the data set at that apparent ZPD point and swap halves. Then perform an FFT and see what you get.

DrBob
Go to Top of Page

crusty

3 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2014 :  07:15:16 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Dr.Bob,

the experimental setup is an Michelson-interferometer for measuring the chromatic dispersion of erbiumdoped fibers.
One interferometer-arm is a moveable airpath and the other arm an erbium doped fiber with mirror at the end.

The spectrum I posted here is taken with an Optical Spectrum Analyzer on one Position(airpath).

Now I try to Fit the spectrum to an interferometry-equation with a sellmeier equation (ng(lambda)) in the cos-term.

I think an FFT wont help me evaluating these p- parameters.
Or how do you think an FFT will help me?

Thank you very much for your response!!!

Basti

Edited by - crusty on 05/15/2014 07:26:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Drbobshepherd

USA
Posted - 05/15/2014 :  11:44:43 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Basti,

To fit a spectrum to a theoretical equation requires that you have a spectrum to begin with. Your data does not look like a spectrum to me; it looks like an interferogram from a Michelson interferometer. If this is the case, the x-axis is not wavelength (lambda), it is Otical Path Difference. You derive the spectrum by performing an FFT on the interferogram. Then phase-correct the spectrum to eliminate the sine coefficients and thus make A and B real.

The x-axis of the spectrum will be in units of spatial frequency, so you will have to convert to them to wavelength.

I admit I am not an interferometry expert, but I have processed more than a few FTIR interferograms so I am acquainted with the theory of the Michelson interferometer. I hope this gets you closer to a solution for your problem.

DrBob
Go to Top of Page

crusty

3 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2014 :  04:59:21 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The noncorrected measured Spectrum is:

I am sure it is a spectrum because I recorded it with an OSA (Optical Spectrum Analyzer) in the wavelength area [950nm - 1100nm].

My recently posted graph are corrected (with Iair and Ifiber) that only the interference oscillation remains.

Edited by - crusty on 05/16/2014 05:01:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Drbobshepherd

USA
Posted - 05/16/2014 :  11:31:58 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Basti,

You have convinced me, it is a spectrum. I wish I could help, but I have to admit I am not familiar enough with this technique to be of any assistance. Perhaps some other Origin user is. Good luck.

DrBob
Go to Top of Page

cpyang

USA
1406 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2014 :  6:58:05 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
If you can make a good guess of the parameters, which I assume the important ones are A, p1 and p2, then manually do 1-iteration to see if the fit is going in the right direction.

For a starter, you should be able to find A by using the first few points and last few points and to fix it to maybe around -0,15? If you start by fixing one of two parameters and relax them after the fits are closer, then you will have a better chance to arrive at a correct fit.

CP
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000