The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Average curve from set of curves
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Janaka

Sri Lanka
15 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2014 :  02:31:39 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
I need to produce average curve for set of curves with different xy values. Please note that, maximum value of x and y are different in each curve. I need to generate the average curve covering to maximum x value. Also, since these are experimental data, you cannot produce clear relationships between x and y. I have Origin 6.1, Origin 7.0 and OriginPro 8. Please suggest a method using one of them.

Note: One set of curves is shown here as an image.

Thank you.

Edited by - Janaka on 05/29/2014 03:22:36 AM

Janaka

Sri Lanka
15 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2014 :  02:35:06 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Please note that I generated the average curve for 4 different curves but the upper part is not the average curve though up to that point, it seems correct. Your help in giving clear explanation for that is appreciated. The generated average curve is shown here. Thank you !

Janaka

Edited by - Janaka on 05/29/2014 03:32:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Janaka

Sri Lanka
15 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2014 :  03:05:49 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Just giving you more details, the average curve is correct up to the curve which has the minimum x (and y) value.

Janaka
Go to Top of Page

Echo_Chu

China
Posted - 05/29/2014 :  05:06:04 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi, Janaka

You can try our average multiple curve tool in OriginPro 8

1. Plot the curves in a graph
2. Select Analysis: Mathematics: Average Multiple Curves
-->In the opened dialog, the default setting of the Averaged X is Full X Range, which will create an average curve from minimum x value to maximum x value of the four curves.

The tool will automatically interpolate first if x ranges are different to get the average curve.

Echo
OriginLab Techincal Service

Go to Top of Page

Echo_Chu

China
Posted - 05/29/2014 :  05:07:47 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Could you let me know how you generate the average curve?

quote:
Originally posted by Janaka

Please note that I generated the average curve for 4 different curves but the upper part is not the average curve though up to that point, it seems correct. Your help in giving clear explanation for that is appreciated. The generated average curve is shown here. Thank you !

Janaka

Go to Top of Page

Janaka

Sri Lanka
15 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2014 :  10:55:48 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello Echo,
Thank you for your information. Though I followed 1 and 2 steps you said, the dialog I got is slightly different (to what you said) where there is no option showing "Averaged X". In the dialog, I used "Average,SD/SE,N" option on "Method" (which is shown here with my origin version too). I also have Origin 6.1 and 7 too. Your helps are appreciated.

Janaka
Go to Top of Page

Echo_Chu

China
Posted - 05/29/2014 :  11:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi, Janaka

Origin 8.0 SR6 should has improved the tool. The GUI of the avecurve tool in my 80 SR6 is as below.

Please update your Origin to our latest SR by selecting Help: Check for Updates menu

or

Download the patch from the link below
http://www.originlab.com/index.aspx?go=SUPPORT/ServiceReleases

Go to Top of Page

Janaka

Sri Lanka
15 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2014 :  12:48:51 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Echo,

Sorry, I had made a mistake with average curve before. The average curve I produced before was from Origin 6.1 and Origin 7 (both give exactly same curve) while the one produced from OriginPro8 looks as below (rather than a curve, it covers entire area of all the curves). However, the GUI given before was from OriginPro8 while Origin 6.1 or 7 don't show it (it directly obtains the average curve though). May you explain me how to get average curve from OriginPro8 (what I have now) first?.

Regarding the update, its free to update? This is my university installed one, so, I need to ask them if that needs any fee. Please advise me here (e.g., how much it would need, how to do it, etc.).

Janaka
Go to Top of Page

Echo_Chu

China
Posted - 05/30/2014 :  01:10:29 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Janaka, could you send us your file by following the instruction on the page? It would be help for us to identify the problem.

http://www.originlab.com/index.aspx?go=Support&pid=752

Don't worry. Update to latest SR is free.

Go to Top of Page

Janaka

Sri Lanka
15 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2014 :  02:23:18 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Echo,

I submitted my file (<200kB) as a email. Since I couldn't place my file with all the graphs (produced from Origin 7, OriginPro8) into "incoming folder", I sent a file with only data. You can draw four curves (as 4 cases available). Then, you need to make the average curve of them (i.e., that's what I am interested in). Hope this will help you. Thank you !

Janaka
Go to Top of Page

Janaka

Sri Lanka
15 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2014 :  04:12:59 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Echo,

Thanks for details on update. I updated it successfully.

Herewith you will find the average curve produced with "Full X Range" as you suggested. You can see the curve is wrong beyond the smallest of maximum x value of 4 curves.

Janaka
Go to Top of Page

Janaka

Sri Lanka
15 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2014 :  04:16:45 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Echo,

For your information, I am giving here the average curve produced with "Common X Range". Though the curve is correct, it doesn't cover the entire range of all the curves. I appreciate your helps.

Janaka
Go to Top of Page

Echo_Chu

China
Posted - 05/30/2014 :  07:03:19 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi, Janaka

I understand your problem now. The "wrong" part of average curve is because your data is noisy we can not get good result for extrapolate.

We will try to see what is the best solution with your specific data and reply you in email

Echo

Go to Top of Page

Drbobshepherd

USA
Posted - 06/03/2014 :  4:53:28 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Janaka,

It looks like your data is more noisy in x than y. If you want to use averaging to reduce noise, I suggest you re-plot your data using x as a function of y; then, take the average of these curves. This will also produce an average curve that covers most of your x-value range.

Then try extrapolating this average curve. You won't have to extrapolate far to achieve your full x-range.

Finally, plot your processed data in the conventional y as a function of x.

DrBob
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000