The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 about ave(vd,n)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

cadick

Germany
2 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2014 :  11:57:39 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Pro 8.6 and Service Release b70 (Select Help-->About Origin):
Operating System: 32-bit, Window 7

Hello Guys!

I am writing for your help!
It is about the function ave(vd,n).

For example, I defined natural numbers in the column A(x) from row 1 to 40. I want to calculate the average of the col(A). I set the value: Col(B)=ave(col(A),40) and "apply".
The first row of Col(B) shows the right answer.
However,
1. Why the result is zero, when I chose the row 2 of Col(B)and "apply" ?

2. In another case, it was always no result, even in the first row! No matter how I used ave(col(f),n)or ave(col("Long Name"),n), masked the selected range or not.

I am .

Thank you for your time!
Looking forward to your reply!

------------

Updates 18:47 03.07.2014

For the 2nd question, after i duplicated the sheet, the ave() function works again! However, I don't know what happened.

Edited by - cadick on 07/03/2014 12:48:54 PM

greg

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2014 :  3:29:57 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The ave( ) returns a vector (a dataset) and assignment to a column always begins at row 1. You can use the row From and To in Set Values to limit the results to certain rows, but this does not shift results.
Anytime the group number (the second argument) is greater than the number of points in the source dataset (the first argument), the returned vector is empty.
The number of points returned is the integer larger than or equal to the number of points in source data divided by the group number.
Go to Top of Page

cadick

Germany
2 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2014 :  4:07:01 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi greg,

Thank you very much for your reply!
Now I can fully understand how the ave() works!

Have a nice day!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000