The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Data labelling
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

Clairekun

Germany
175 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2014 :  10:02:00 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 9
Operating System: Windows 7

Hello,

I have been trying to create data labels in a line plot, but I don't know of any direct method of doing so:

- Data annotation tool: Can't type text right away; after creating each label, I need to select and modify all of them manually.
- Label column: can't select a data point from plot and go to its corresponding label cell in worksheet. Need to find it manually.
- Label tab: not available for line plots.

Is there something I am missing?

Thank you.

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2014 :  1:42:18 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

1. If you just want to add some label next to a point, you can right click there and choose Add Text context menu. Or click T button on Tools toolbar and click on the position you want to add a label.

2. Maybe you can use Data Reader tool. Click the data point. In Data Display window, you can see the row index is showing e.g.
[book1]Sheet1![4] X=....., Y=..... Then you can go to corresponding sheet and row.

3. Yes. This is added in 9.1. Also in 9.1, we support smart labeling so that if you have very dense data, Origin can position labels to avoid overlapping and also can add leader line to connect the label with the point.

See http://originlab.com/index.aspx?go=PRODUCTS/Origin/91/DataLabel for example.

Sincerely,
Snow Li
OriginLab Corp.
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  5:39:59 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
BTW Claire,

I forgot to mention we have a video about how to customize annotation tool if your labels have some consistent prefix, suffix, etc.
http://originlab.com/Index.aspx?go=Support/VideoTutorials&pid=2005

And sorry that it's too late to improve this for coming 9.2. But I did brought it up in TS meeting and we made the following change in coming 9.2: Go to Worksheet context menu in Data Info. window highlights the row of data in worksheet.

E.g in coming 9.2, here is procedure you can picture:

1. Add a new blank column in worksheet of your XY data.
2. After plotting line graph, open Plot Details dialog and go to Labels tab. Enable it and specify the new column to be the read the label from.
3. Use Data Reader tool. and click the point you want to label. Row index, x, y values shows in Data Info. window.
4. Right click in Data info. window and choose Go to Worksheet context menu.
--> It will go to corresponding row in the worksheet. U can enter label text in the cell in Label column.
5. Go back to graph and use Data Reader tool again and repeat.

I know it's not user friendly for now. We may improve it in future versions.

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000