The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Legend Help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

stanleyfapps

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  2:08:04 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Origin 9):
Operating System: Windows 7 (via Parallels on Mac)

Hi, thanks for help in advance. I checked the forum thoroughly before posting, so I hope this isn't redundant.

I think what I'm trying to do should be simple, but I can't figure it out. I have a set of data that I want to split up by some index. I managed to do this by first making an index column and then using that index column to create another column that selects between two other columns, depending on the value of index column. The index column has integer values, say between 1-3. Then I created a simple scatter plot whose color is indexed to the index column, so that i have what appears to be 3 plots, each of a different color, each containing a few hundred data points. Now, I want a legend that represents reflects these three indices. However, I can't figure out how to do this. I've tried creating an enhanced legend, but this creates an element in the legend for each data point. I only want an element in the legend for each unique index, i.e. 3 unique elements in the legend. One representative of each "set" of data.

Any help is much appreciated!

lkb0221

China
497 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  2:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Please right click the header of the index column and select "Set as Categorical". And then create a enhanced legend again.

Zheng
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

stanleyfapps

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  3:27:59 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks, Zheng.

I could have sworn that I tried this when I was playing around with the index column as a categorical column.

As a follow up, what I really want to do is assign legend elements like "Charge 1", "Discharge 1", "Charge 2", etc. I need to use a few conditional statements to accomplish this, but I can't seem to get a text output. For example, if I want every odd index to represent a "Charge" cycle and every even index to represent a "Discharge" cycle, and I want these numbered, I've tried:

(mod(Col("Index"),2)==1) ? "Charge":((mod(Col("Index"),2)==0) ? "Discharge":"")

This is an approximation of what I want, without the index number after "Charge" or "Discharge", but I can't even make this work.
Go to Top of Page

lkb0221

China
497 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  4:34:26 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Conditional operator does not support string assignment.
You might need to use if condition in before formula script.

Zheng
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

stanleyfapps

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2014 :  4:46:02 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Zheng,

Thanks again for the response. Could you elaborate on how to do this?
Go to Top of Page

lkb0221

China
497 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2014 :  09:55:49 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Go to Top of Page

stanleyfapps

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2014 :  12:16:49 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Wow, this is very helpful! Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

stanleyfapps

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2014 :  2:28:32 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
One last follow up.

I have some cells that I want blank. I do this by assigning the value (in your example) of r2[ii] = "";

However, rather than this resulting in a truly blank cell, I get a cell containing a double dash, such as "--" The problem with this is that, when set as a categorical column, the legend recognizes this symbol as a distinct category. In one tutorial I came across, it suggested...

"select Show Missing as Blank to show missing values as blank instead of displaying the "--" characters"

But this didn't work. Any help?
Go to Top of Page

lkb0221

China
497 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2014 :  10:08:53 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Yes, in 9.1 it will put all category values into the legend, even missing value, and we will improve this in our next released version.

So currently, you might have to delete the redundant line in legend manually.

Zheng
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000