The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Smooth ternary contour plot?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

joybaker

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2014 :  09:57:06 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
OriginPro 9.0.0System:
Hi everyone,

I have a question about ternary contour plots. Is there a way to smoothen the contour lines? I want to make the ternary coutour plot like this (generated from Minitab, but can't custermise the lables),but my plot is quite sharp

I have seen a few post talking about this topic for example http://www.originlab.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10744 , but I am still quite confused how to do it (i.e. what to do after xyz gridding/matrix, as I still have the response as another z column?)

so wonder if there is a detailed manual or example to do it elsewhere? Or even people do it manually?

The points in my model is shown below:

lkb0221

China
497 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2014 :  10:16:23 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

After the ternary contour is created, you can go to Plot Details dialog, Contouring Info tab and set the Smoothing factors.
http://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/PD-Dialog-ContourInfo-Tab
Btw, you do not need to convert XYZ to matrix in order to plot ternary.

Zheng
OriginLab

Edited by - lkb0221 on 08/18/2014 10:17:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

joybaker

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2014 :  11:08:17 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks for you reply, yes I find it. I thought the matrix transfer is part of the smoothing. Could I ask you what is the principle (i.e. name of the method or equation) of this smoothing?

What is the difference between data boundary and layer boundary?

Thank you

quote:
Originally posted by lkb0221

Hi,

After the ternary contour is created, you can go to Plot Details dialog, Contouring Info tab and set the Smoothing factors.
http://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/PD-Dialog-ContourInfo-Tab
Btw, you do not need to convert XYZ to matrix in order to plot ternary.

Zheng
OriginLab

Edited by - joybaker on 08/18/2014 11:09:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

joybaker

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2014 :  11:17:46 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
It's actually quite different from two software with the same data set, I use total points increase factor 100 and smoothing parameter 1, and the graph like this

and the same dataset in minitab, it shows like this

well, ignoring the colour, the patterns are still different, so that's why I wonder if these are based on differnent priciples of the smoothing?
Go to Top of Page

lkb0221

China
497 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2014 :  11:20:39 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

We use Thin plate spline method for contour line smoothing; Total points increase factor will increase the number of points on the contour line, and Smoothing Parameter means the degree of smoothing. For details, please see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_plate_spline

Data boundary will plot only the area where be surrounded by data points; while layer boundary will fill the whole layer (the whole triangle) by interpolate.

Zheng
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

lkb0221

China
497 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2014 :  11:22:58 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
And for the difference between Origin and MiniTab, can you try to set both of then by the same colormap settings (number of levels with the same level values) and see if still different?

Edited by - lkb0221 on 08/18/2014 11:25:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

joybaker

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2014 :  11:28:17 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Minitab actually does all the smooting itself (as long as I have the right point for a ternary model), so I didn't set any data, and can't do anything about the graph, that's why I turn to Origin in order to custermise the graph myself. So I am not sure what kind of smoothing Minitab is using.
But anyway, this is very helpful information. Will get back to you if I have further question. Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by lkb0221

And for the difference between Origin and MiniTab, can you try to set both of then by the same number of levels and see if still different?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000