The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 OPJ file size and compression - again
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

hofmaale

20 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2014 :  3:19:56 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi there,

instead of reviving an old thread, I rather create a new one; the last time this topic was discussed about seems to be in 2003 (at least I didn't find a newer thread with a quick search, I bet there are more: http://www.originlab.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2746)

Wouldn't it be time to introduce a compressed Project File Option? Suggestion: don't reinvent the wheel, but create a .OPZ File version, that uses an established compressed file format (like ZIP or 7Z) as a container. That way:

- Project file size can sometimes be reduced to less than 1% (using recent LZMA)
- Backwards-compatibility would be honored up to some extent (just rename the file and decompress it)
- ease up sharing & collaborating, as smaller files are uploaded faster

I often have to import a large amount of data which can easily result in files >1GB; using 7z these files shrink to 50 Megs (and recently I compressed a 50MB .OPJ to about 700KB 7z)

Or did I miss something? Is this feature perhaps already present and I just didn't see it?

Different possibility: how far can the process of saving projects be controlled by OriginC? Is it possible to "add on" this feature?

Greetings

Alexander
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 9.1
Operating System: Win 7

Kathy_Wang

China
159 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  03:05:01 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, we will discuss whether/how to improve this shortly.

Kathy
Originlab
Go to Top of Page

Kathy_Wang

China
159 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2014 :  04:05:37 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

A follow up on this: we already have a plan to add compressed option to OPJ, the reference ID is ORG-11787.

Kathy
Originlab
Go to Top of Page

MaxMace

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2014 :  07:57:40 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello, Kathy.

Is the new feature out already? I think that it's a brilliant idea.

Thanks,

Max

It's a beautiful day!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000