The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Average value
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

dominik.mierzwa

Poland
118 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2014 :  06:13:51 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. 9.1 (91E) and Service Release a (Select Help-->About Origin):
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro

Hi,

I'm new user of Origin and I found some problem with average value calculation. I'd like to get:
1. Average value from 2 separate columns. There are one parameter measured twice, and I'd like to calculate overall average value.
2. Average values from 2 columns, but calculated row by row. I have two sets of data and I'd like to get third one which will be the average value. (something like average value of two vectors).

And I have one more question, where can I find detail description of "Set value" tool and built-in functions eg. "mean(vd)", how it works and what mean v or d, how should I define range etc.

Kind regards,
Dominik

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2014 :  3:53:20 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi dominik,

> 1. Average value from 2 separate columns... overall average value.

You can highlight these two columns, choose "Statistics> Descriptive Stats> Stats on Columns" menu. In this tool, you can control with option for how the statistics are calculated - {Independent Columns / Combined as Single dataset} at "Input Data" option node.

> 2. Average values from 2 columns, but calculated row by row.

Assuming you have only two columns as the source data, you can highlight these two columns, choose "Statistics> Descriptive Stats> Stats on Rows" menu.

For the general explanations about Set Column Values tool, you can find it at:
http://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/Wks-Set-Column-Values

For the description about a specific function, you can find at:
http://www.originlab.com/doc/LabTalk/ref/General-Stat

The same help information to the above web document can be also found in Origin help document.

Hope this works.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

Edited by - Hideo Fujii on 11/14/2014 4:00:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

dominik.mierzwa

Poland
118 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2014 :  02:13:49 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,
Thank you for explanation. The second case is solved but I have some problem with the first one. Which option should I choose to present the calculated mean value in the column next to the source one? Am I right that the report is the only way to present the mean value?

Kind regards,
Dominik
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000