The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 axis units
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

lyla7779

6 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2014 :  08:24:58 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): originpro 8 SR0
Operating System: win xp

Hello people,
I'm having a problem with the way origin shows the axis name in the graph.
I need them in the format: long name / unit for every workbook in a folder
but it keeps showing them as: long name (unit)

I already tried to modify the origin.ini file adding in the [text] section
XTitle=%(?X,@LA) / %(?X,@LU)
YTitle=%(?Y,@LA) / %(?Y,@LU)
but it still gives me the units in round brackets.

Any ideas?

Furthermore, I'm running a script to change the units and longnames of different columns in many workbooks and I need to obtain greek symbols (theta and omega) and a superscripted number in units' cells.
Is there a code to use in the script window to get these automatically in the workbooks?

Thank you in advance

lyla7779

6 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2014 :  08:51:15 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Update: I solved the first part of my problem

I still can't figure out how to code symbols from the script.
Go to Top of Page

lyla7779

6 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2014 :  11:32:00 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Solved it!
Go to Top of Page

rondanyd

1 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2014 :  11:27:34 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Could you post how to do it? I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get symbols working...

Edited by - rondanyd on 12/07/2014 10:00:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

lyla7779

6 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2014 :  12:41:22 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
To get the greek letters from the script, you have to add \f:Symbol(corresponding letter)
For example: \f:Symbol(q) you'll have a theta
\f:Symbol(g) gamma etc..

For subscript and superscript, the code is \-(subscripted letter or number)
for example: cm\+(2) you get cm^2
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2014 :  11:41:39 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
UPDATES:From Origin 2016 on, user can customize the default axis title display in Tools -> Options dialog. See Unit Display for Axis Title dropdown list on Axis tab there.

FYI, Regarding to your 1st question:
1: Choose Tools: System Variables menu.
2. Enter LUQ as variable name.
3. Enter 4 as value.
4. Click OK. All your future Origin sessions will use Long Name/Unit on graph.

More infor:
http://www.originlab.com/doc/LabTalk/ref/sys-var-list

System variable @LUQ is used to determine the delimiter for Unit when Unit appear as string in Axis Title or Legend:

0 = Unit label will not appear at Axis Title or Legend but only the long name
1 = Unit label will appear as (Unit) (Default if Japanese and English)
2 = Unit label will appear as [Unit] (Default if German version)
3 = Unit label will appear as {Unit}
4 = Unit label will appear as /Unit
5 = Unit label will appear as -Unit

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2014 :  12:03:32 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Regarding to 2nd question: We have \g() for greek letters
You can see all the escape sequence we support below:
http://docwiki.originlab.com/index.php?title=UserGuide:Escape_Sequences

Andwe support rich text in worksheet as well since 8.0.
See Quick Help link:
http://qhwiki.originlab.com/~originla/howto/index.php?title=QuickHelp:How_to_insert_greek_symbols_and_subscript_in_plot_legend_and_axis_titles_from_worksheet_headers

GUI Way: Double click a cell in Units row, you can Format toolbar is activated. You can press AlphaBeta symbol down to enter greek. press Superscript/Subscript button down to enter superscript/subscript and they display in worksheet as well.

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page

wongls

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2017 :  04:48:13 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi all,

Just found this entry from Google as I am having the same problem. I tried the above but it does not seem to work. Can I check if I got the syntax correct?

I want to have the axes formatted to "long name / unit". In the graph itself, I left click the axis label -> properties, to go into the "object properties" window, I enter:

%(?X, @LUQ=4)

But if I do this, it just shows the long name but no units! What am I missing?

I am using OriginPro 2015 (ver 9.2.272)

Thanks,
LS
Go to Top of Page

YimingChen

1592 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2017 :  09:23:11 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi LS,

In Snowli's second post, in first step, you need to select from menu Tools: System Variables to make the change.

Thanks,
James
Go to Top of Page

wongls

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2017 :  07:02:38 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you Yiming. I did that and it works.

I just wanted see if it is possible to do it from the graph's object properties window. I guess it cannot be done this way but Snowli's solution works fine also.

Best regards,
Lu Shin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000