The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 axis breaks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

tomcarter

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2015 :  06:05:10 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. 9.1 and Service Release 2(Select Help-->About Origin):
Operating System:Win 7

Dear Origin users,

I have recently upgraded from vr8 to 9.1. Axis break controls seem much less friendly in 9.1.
Is it still possible to separately edit/change the scale/labels/ticks etc for regions before and after an X-axis break, (both for linear and log scale plotting)?
Thanks in advance for any help on this topic.

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2015 :  09:47:23 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

Could you check if you are eligible to get Origin 2015(internally 9.2) since if you upgrade to 9.1 by renew annual maintenance, you could get Origin 2015.

We changed axis back to tab-style in Origin 2015 which is more easy to navigate
https://originlab.jira.com/wiki/x/rQCOAg

BTW, in both 9.1 and Origin 2015, you can set axis before and after break independently.
In 9.1,
for scale before break, use X/Y ->Scale node.
for scale after break, go to X/Y -> Breaks -> set number of breaks and then go to subnode such as Break 1 there. On right panel, there will be After Break Scale and Tick Labels control.

In 2015,
for scale before break, use Scale tab.
For scale after break, go to Break tab. Set number of breaks and then click Details button to set scale and tick label after break.

Both 9.1 and 9.2 supports multiple breaks
http://originlab.com/www/products/GraphGallery.aspx?GID=348

and breaks with 0 gap
http://originlab.com/www/products/GraphGallery.aspx?GID=344

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page

wongls

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2017 :  09:06:36 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi all,

I am having an issue adjusting the scale of the final break in my graph (see attached). The full x-axis scale runs from 0-3600, with the last data point on 3600 s. Each of the plotted areas should be 20 s wide (so for the 100 s data point, the plot goes 90-110 s). However, for the last one it is 3590-3600 since it is the end of the graph.

The issue here is that for all the breaks, I have set the tick increment as 20 s. However, that final break for the 3600 s data point will not let me use this increment. Every time I do this, it just defaults to 2 s (this is what is shown in the screen grab).

Is there a work around to this? Essentially I do not want so many ticks, just the one under the data point.

Thank you,
Lu Shin
Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2017 :  2:09:37 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello, i suppose it's because the last segment after break 4 is 3600-3590=10, while the tick increment is 20 which doesn't make sensor so Origin auto set it.

How about this:
On Scale After Break tab of Break4,
Change Major Ticks -> Type as By Counts.
Set Count =1
Set First Tick = 3590.

I tried it works.

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page

wongls

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2017 :  08:11:02 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thank you Snowli for the suggestion. It did not work in this case.

The workaround I used in the end was to extend the plot range from 0-3610, then set the ticks as increments to 20 (same at all the others). It's not the most elegant solution but good enough for me. :)

Go to Top of Page

snowli

USA
1379 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2017 :  3:50:24 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello,

I am not sure which version of Origin you are using. I tried 2015 and 2017. Both can show 1 major tick, though in 2015 build, u can't specify the 1st tick.

BTW, i also found By Dataset works. By Dataset allows u to type any value and ticks will show there.

Try set Type to By Dataset.

Then enter 3600.
U can also enter 3595
Or enter 3590 3600 //but the labels will be crowded.

Hope this works for you.

Thanks, Snow
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000