The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 3D waterfall
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

JohnORei

France
6 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2002 :  05:59:52 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
I want to prepare a graph similar in style to that of a 3D waterfall but with a Z-axis. The problem is that it is only available in XYY format. Can anyone advise as to how to achieve this?

Thanks,

John

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2002 :  1:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi John,

Try a "3D Bars" plot. You will first need to convert your data to a matrix, to be able to plot a 3D graph.

Easwar
OriginLab.
Go to Top of Page

JohnORei

France
6 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2002 :  05:57:24 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Easwar,

As I understand it, in order to convert to a matrix, only one Z column can be used. I want to plot a graph with multiple Z columns (each with a single value) to prepare a graph similar in style to the 3D waterfall, namely with "slices". So what am I missing? ;)

John
Go to Top of Page

easwar

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2002 :  08:58:22 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi John,

There is another way to create a matrix - direct conversion from worksheet to matrix (menu item: Edit->Convert to Matrix->Direct). What this does is to create a matrix with as many cells as there are in the worksheet and directly put the worksheet numbers into the matrix cells.

In your case, since you have data in x,y,y,y...form, you could try the following:
->Delete the X column in your worksheet (or make a copy first and then delete the X column)
->Perform a direct conversion to matrix
->With the matrix window active, choose the Matrix->Set Dimensions menu item to appropriately set the x,y begin and end coordinates for your data
->Use the Plot->3D Bars menu item to create a 3D bar plot
-> Right-click on plot to go to Plot-Details to customize things such as bar thickness and color etc. to get the "waterfall-like look".

Hope this helps. If it does not, then please send an OPJ with your data and notes on what you want to do, to your local tech support representative.

Easwar
OriginLab.

Edited by - easwar on 10/30/2002 10:45:11 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000