The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Mask the data range!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

tonylau

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2002 :  6:05:54 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
I can not mask the data range, who can show me how to do that? I do not understand the help for masking data!

Mike Buess

USA
3037 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2002 :  7:44:14 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
If a worksheet is active:
1> Highlight the cells you want to mask.
2> Select Mask...Apply on the right-click menu.

If a graph is active (must be a scatter or line+symbol plot):
Masking one point at a time...
1> Click anywhere on the graph and select Mask...Point by Point on the right-click menu.
2> Double-click on the point you want to mask.
Masking a range of points...
1> Click anywhere on the graph and select Mask...Range on the right-click menu.
2> Position the markers (tail-to-tail vertical arrows) at the beginning and end of the range of points you want to mask.
3> Press the Enter key.

I bet you're trying to mask in a line plot, which can't be done. I don't use masking a lot and it seems like I have to rediscover that requirement each time. The Origin manual should at least mention it.

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member

Edited by - Mike Buess on 12/13/2002 08:48:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

rtoomey

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2002 :  11:13:28 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Of course, if you really want a line plot, create a line + symbol plot and set the symbol size to zero. Masking can be performed on it even though the symbols are readily visible.

- rtoomey

Go to Top of Page

Mike Buess

USA
3037 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2002 :  11:55:17 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Agreed, the workaround is simple. But the masking help topic should be clear about why it's necessary.

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member
Go to Top of Page

cal@force.

Denmark
3 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  08:43:00 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I tried to use the mask function on a line graph - and found the solution here.
I changed the graph to line-symbol and masked the unwanted data. Then I changed the graph to line again. It works. Why is it not possible to mask the data when in line mode?
Carsten
Go to Top of Page

spingler

Switzerland
Posted - 02/12/2006 :  10:34:28 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi all,

I can mask a data range, but how to update an already created graph (line+symbol) that now should contain less data?

My workaround is to recreate the graph and format everything from scratch, rather cumbersome.

Thanks a lot for any help

Bernhard
Go to Top of Page

Mike Buess

USA
3037 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  09:30:27 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Bernhard,

I don't understand your point. Masking does not remove data points; it only colors them red (by default) and ignores them in most calculations. You can remove data points one at a time with Data > Remove Bad Points or remove them in bunches with either of these addons from the File Exchange...

http://www.originlab.com/fileexchange/details.aspx?fid=102
http://www.originlab.com/fileexchange/details.aspx?fid=116

Mike Buess
Origin WebRing Member
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000