The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 How to fit the Arrhenius plot
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

physgopal

India
4 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2015 :  02:50:09 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hai, i am Gopalakrishnan. Can anyone tell about what is the equation for fitting Arrhenius plot along with its independent, dependent variables and parameter names. Also how to fit the data using this function... Thank You...

M.Gopalakrishnan

JacquelineHe

287 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2015 :  06:08:31 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Gopalakrishnan,

If do not misunderstand you mean, you want to fit the plot by Arrhenius equation: ln(k) = ln(A) – (Ea/R) * (1/T), right?
In Origin, there is not a build –in function for it. I suggest you create a user-defined function for it.

About how to create user-defined function, please refer to this help page and tutorial:
http://www.originlab.com/doc/Origin-Help/UserDef-FitFunc
http://www.originlab.com/doc/Tutorials/UserDef-FitFunc

If in your plot “ln(k)” is in the Y axis, “T” is in the X axis
And you can define the y as dependent variables. (y is “ln(k)”), and set “T” as independent variables, and set “A, Ea” as the parameters.
And I do not confirm you can like to use the constant value for “R”.
If you set R=8.314 J/(mol*K), you can use put 8.314 in the function to instead of R.

The function body: y = ln(A) – (Ea/8.314) * (1/T)

Thanks
Jacqueline
OriginLab
Go to Top of Page

physgopal

India
4 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2015 :  11:22:51 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Dear JacquelineHe,

Thank you so much for your valuable suggestion. Actually i want to calculate the activation energy (Ea)in thermally activated processes such as low-temperature PL measurement by using this relation

I(T) = I(0)/(1+A*exp(-Ea/KT)

where (T) is the PL intensity at temperature T K, I(0) is
the PL intensity at 0 K, A is the constant describing the
capture of carriers, Ea is the activation energy of the
thermal quenching process, K is the Boltzmann
constant, and T is a thermodynamic temperature. I have create user-defined function, but when i compile the function

ITmp = I0 /( 1 + A*exp(-Ea*Tmp/(1.38*10^(-23))),

Where Tmp means T, it shows the error due to mismatching usage of parentheses. Please inform me what is the error in the above function...

Thank You so much...

M.Gopalakrishnan
Go to Top of Page

JacquelineHe

287 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2015 :  10:32:16 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Gopalakrishnan,

A right parenthesis is missed in the formula.

Please update it and try again.

Thanks
Jacqueline
OriginLab

Edited by - JacquelineHe on 08/18/2015 10:33:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

wells995

Taiwan
1 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2017 :  07:45:11 AM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi, I'm Wells,

I'm also looking to the same solution for this question.

I'm using OriginPro 8.1

according to the same equation which we are using here,

I'm wondering how to set up the variables?

I(T) = I(0)/(1+A*exp(-Ea/KT)

where (T) is the PL intensity at temperature T K, I(0) is the PL intensity at 0 K, A is the constant describing the capture of carriers, Ea is the activation energy of the thermal quenching process, K is the Boltzmann constant, and T is a thermodynamic temperature.

according to the formula

ITmp = I0 /( 1 + A*exp(-Ea/Tmp*(1.38*10^(-23))))

Independent Variables: Ea
Dependent Variables: I, Tmp

and then, I don't know how to setup rest to variables,

do I have to give a value of A and I0?

or I can allow fitting process do it for me?

quote:
Originally posted by JacquelineHe

Hi Gopalakrishnan,

A right parenthesis is missed in the formula.

Please update it and try again.

Thanks
Jacqueline
OriginLab

Haw Wen Chen
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000