The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 Peak width analysis
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

DerekK

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2016 :  11:22:44 AM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hello
I am doing a simple peak analysis using the Quick Peaks gadget (I've also tried the Peak Analyzer).
My goal is to: 1) find the peak in the data (usually just one) and 2) tell me the width (x coords of begin and end of tails of the peak).
A) The gadget puts Base Markers on the tails, but I cannot find documentation on how it determines where to put those. Once I understand that, then I would like to use those Base Markers to determine where the peak starts and ends.

B) If option A) is not useful, then I will probably need to evaluate the slope on the tails of the peak and set the start end based on how they flatten out. Can anyone suggest a function in Origin that would help me do this?

Thanks, Derek

Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 2015sr2
Operating System:Win7

Chris D

428 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2016 :  1:04:36 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Derek,

Try the Integrate Gadget.

Among the many Output options, it can show beginning X, ending X and peak center X as Centroid.

See if that might work for you.

Thanks,
Chris Drozdowski
Originlab Technical Support
Go to Top of Page

Hideo Fujii

USA
1582 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2016 :  6:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi Derek,

How about fitting the peak, say by Gaussian? The fit result will show the FWHM, and if you like,
you can calculate e.g., 4*SD (=2*FWHM/sqrt(ln(4)) .
For me this method sounds less arbitrary to find width even on a curve with asymptotic tails.

--Hideo Fujii
OriginLab

Edited by - Hideo Fujii on 03/25/2016 6:15:03 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000