The Origin Forum
File Exchange
Try Origin for Free
The Origin Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Send File to Tech support
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Origin Forum
 Origin Forum
 how to sort/avg by x value
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

cmcc

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2016 :  3:07:53 PM  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Origin Ver. and Service Release (Select Help-->About Origin): 8.5
Operating System: win7

I have a long series of measurements that looks like this
col(a) col(b)
0 0.4
0 0.38
0 0.42
1 0.1
1 0.08
1 0.09
2 -0.2
2 -0.19
2 -0.17

I want to separate each set of y-values with an identical x value into its own column, so that I can run "descriptive statistics - columns" on each value to get the mean and standard deviation, etc.
Is there a fast or elegant way to do this? perhaps using some kind of Sort or Transpose function? I have been manually copy-pasting into new columns but this is a pain if I have 200 unique sets x values, each with unique y values....
Thanks for your help or tips!

meili_yang

103 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2016 :  3:23:16 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi cmcc,

You can just highlight Col(b), and from menu Statistics: Descriptive Statistics: Statistics on Column to open the dialog.

In the dialog under Input Data, there is a Group box. You can click to select Col(A) as group, or more than one columns as group. Then the result will return mean and standard deviation or any selected quantities for each element in the group column, or combination of elements across group columns.

The dialog is cropped in 2016 which is a different layout than 8.5, but you can still see the group option.

I think this is what you like to do.

Meili
OriginLab Tech Support
Go to Top of Page

cmcc

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2016 :  3:31:29 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
perfect!
I should have learned this a long time ago.
thanks so much!
Go to Top of Page

meili_yang

103 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2016 :  3:42:21 PM  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
You are welcome. Good to know it works.

Meili
OriginLab Tech Support
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Origin Forum © 2020 Originlab Corporation Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000